Chapter Twenty-Five

Lux

"It's too late."

Elaine's dooming proclamation kept replaying in Lux's head while she sat staring into the woods behind Elaine's cottage. The trees were stripped bare of their leaves and the bark was dull—more gray than brown in the dimming twilight, and though there was a light breeze, it was barely strong enough to stir her hair, which meant all the rustling and snapping coming from the shadows within the trees were creatures waiting and watching. But she didn't feel threatened by them. Their presence offered comfort that not even her friends inside the house could give her.

Declan had looked so hurt when she asked him to stay inside with the others while she came outside to process what Elaine revealed. He might have put up a bigger fight if it hadn't been for Kitty. He was torn between wanting to hold Lux and monitor the former Circle member now that they had proven her right. Kitty was liable to kill her on the spot to stop the future from happening. Lux was dangerous, and if she wasn't stopped, the world would burn. And she would kill the person she loved most.

"No," she whispered. "It isn't me."

She flipped her hands over and studied the familiar lines of her palms. The freckle in the crease where her right pointer finger met the palm. The scar on her thumb—earned after breaking a beaker in ninth grade Physical Science. Her flesh was a map of her life, but it wasn't who she was. Each of those marks were attached to memories she carried in her mind, and when Morgause took over, those would be gone. Lux would be gone, and the face and skin Morgause wore were of little importance. She had to keep telling herself this over and over. She would not be the one who carried out those vile acts.

But it would still be her fault. Lux rubbed at the space beneath her breast as an ache formed. It was almost as if Morgause stirred, responding to thoughts of her, but thankfully, she didn't surge forward or wrestle for control. Not that Lux was certain she would know if the woman did. She didn't remember being taken over this morning, but she was beginning to believe she couldn't take over any time she wished. The Dreams were the link between them, and Morgause was strongest afterward.

"So, I just have to stay awake forever."

"Talking to yourself?" Kitty asked, letting the door snick shut behind her as she joined her on the patio.

"Maybe I'm chatting with Morgause." Kitty froze, deadly intent bright in her blue eyes. "Too soon for that joke?"

The former earth witch chuckled dryly. "I don't think that joke will ever sit well. Not for me." She said the last sentence in a whisper.

"Kitty. I'm sorry we didn't listen to you, but... you have to know why we didn't, though. If it had been Sara Elizabeth proclaiming the things you were, would you have believed her?"

"That's probably not the best person to pick for this analogy." She stretched her legs out in front of her and raised her arms above her head, making her sweater lift and exposing the pale skin of her stomach. Skin etched with scars—some old and white, some soft and pink, while a few were angry and red.

"Did you do that to yourself?" Lux gasped.

Kitty jerked her shirt down at once and turned her face, hiding her expression in the falling darkness. "I've done a lot of things since I left the Circle, but these scars are the one thing I don't regret. At least I was only hurting myself."

Lux reached for the girl, but she pulled away. "Kitty."

"Don't. The things I've done. The lives," she sucked in a breath and hesitated. Tears spilled over Lux's lashes. She knew what Kitty was going to confess to, but the knowing of a thing didn't make hearing it easier. "It will never be okay. I will never find forgiveness or peace. But I need you to understand me, Lux. After what you Saw today, you have to understand. I truly believe if the blood on my hands will stop that future, then it's worth it. I would kill again."