XIII

It was still raining the next morning, although it had lightened slightly.

I spent most of the day in my room, lying down, playing video games or sleeping.

It was the only way I could make the time go any faster.
I opened the chat I'd had with Mia and tried to text her several times, only to delete all the text I had written again and again.

I still felt a little bad about reacting that way, but I knew it wasn't entirely my fault.

___________________________________________

Monday morning was somewhat unusual for me.
I felt rested and eager to go to school, but at the same time I didn't want to see Mia again.

I changed into my uniform and ate breakfast in record time along with Mal0.

I almost ran out of the apartment, heading for school.
Usually I felt very conscious of people watching me, but today in particular I couldn't care less.

I was one of the first ones up the stairs and into the classroom.
Once there I sat in my respective place, behind Mia's seat and waited.

...

And waited...

We were already minutes away from the second recess and Mia didn't seem to make it to class.

Mal0 seemed to notice my concern and sent me a message on my cell phone.

[She still didn't come?]

[It seems so]

[Hmm...]
[Do you think she skipped
classes on purpose?]

I wasn't entirely sure.
I would say that knowing Mia, she had done it on purpose.
But considering what she had confessed yesterday....

I didn't know what to think.

[I don't know.]

I put the cell phone aside and leaned my elbow on the desk, dropping my head.

I began to think about my previous encounters with Mia, but one of them caught my attention.

I remembered how she had found the location of my house and had taken pictures to force me to come down.

Couldn't I do the same?

[Mal0]

[Can you trave Mia's
location?]
[trace*]

[haha--]
[I think so.]
[Do you want to go visit her?]

[I don't have
another choice.]

[Okay.]
[...]

I waited for a few moments, staring blankly at the phone screen.
The three little dots on Mal0's side seemed to bounce endlessly.

After a few minutes she finally answered.

[...]
[Sorry, Quentin.]
[Something strange is going on...]

[What's wrong?]

[It's as if her
location changed
every second..]
[I think it's due
to that anomaly
she had on her cell phone.]

[The one she had shown me
that day]

I put my cell phone back in my pocket at the same time the recess bell rang.