28. Escape

It all went to hell. Well, at least they were together and had attained valuable information from the ever-prideful Brannagh. When the coast was clear and Feyre had taken whatever she had needed and destroyed the court with Eve's help, the two sneaked off into the forest.

"Back off," Eve heard someone, no, Lucien say. A female laughed sensually. Feyre ignored but Eve couldn't do that. "We have to help him," she whispered. "We have to go," Feyre said although guilt clouded her eyes. Eve shook her head- adamant. Sighing, Feyre stopped too and tuned into the conversation.

"I thought you'd seek me out after the Rite," Ianthe purred. They couldn't be more than thirty feet through the trees.

"I was obligated to perform the Rite," Lucien snapped. "That night wasn't the product of desire, believe me." "We had fun, you and I." "I'm a mated male now." "You don't act that way with Feyre." "You're mistaken." "Am I?" Twigs and leaves crunched, as if she was circling him. "You put your hands all over her." Feyre had done her job well.

"Do not touch me," he growled. And then Eve was moving to where Lucien stood with twin bands of blue stone shackled around his wrists. Eve looked at Feyre, why wasn't he using his powers? "Stone immobilizes it," Feyre whispered. Eve felt rage come over her.

Ianthe slid a hand over the broad panes of his chest, his stomach. "Step the hell out of the way bitch," Eve couldn't take it anymore and stepped out.

"We were in the middle of a game. Weren't we, Lucien? We'll return to the camp when we're done," she said, turning to him. "Take your hands off him." Feyre commanded this time and Ianthe did. "Unshackle him." Feyre was probably using her daemati powers Eve realised. "Pick up that rock." Ianthe obeyed Feyre' each and every command. "Put your right hand on that boulder. Smash your hand with the rock as hard as you can until I tell you to stop." Ianthe started whimpering.

Eve watched in awe and admiration as Feyre made Ianthe soon kneel to the ground and made her stop from ever doing what they had witnessed now. She didn't feel an ounce of pity for Ianthe.

"The word you're looking for, Lucien," someone said behind her, "is daemati." Eve whirled toward Brannagh and Dagdan as they stepped into the clearing, grinning like wolves.

And then, all went to hell.

Pretty soon, Feyre was fighting Dagdan and Lucien and Eve were fighting Brannagh.

Soon, they were dead.

Finally, things clicked into place for Lucien.

"You two are going back." "We are." Eve confirmed. "I am coming with you," Lucien stated. Feyre argued. "Guys, decide fast." Eve interrupted, hearing footsteps- she'd have to take care of Ianthe later. Feyre sighed, "do not make me regret this. And with that, the three traitors winnowed.

*****

They halted in a small clearing and Lucien doubled over. "It's gone." Eve was confused, what was gone? "My magic—not an ember. They must have dosed all of us today." Oh. Yet, Eve could still feel her magic waiting to overpower her. "No, I can still feel mine...." Her eyes widened in realization, "oh, of course."

Feyre shook her head, "even mine is gone. How- how isn't yours? We all ate together today."

"I-" time to come clean, Eve guessed. "I have been taking Faebane way before the twins gave it to us. It helped my magic die down so that I could focus again without being annoyed by seizures every second. So, I guess, I became immune to it a bit. I was actually going to up my dose again... the pain is starting to become unbearable again and my last bottle got over last night." Lucien looked at her in shock while Feyre shook her head- not knowing what to say.

"We- uh- we should probably find shelter for the night." And then, with much discussion they finally found themselves in a cave where Lucien patiently thought Eve how to create a fire.... And failed. Somehow, Eve managed to catch a wink of sleep.

The next day, the trio travelled through the Autumn Court and though, they were on the run, Eve took a moment to admire the beauty of this beastly court. Mike would've loved it too, she though wistfully.

By that night, they all were thirsty, hungry and tired. Lucien lit a fire and they all huddled together. Eve's condition was worsening and though she wasn't hungry like the other two (she was used to skipping meals by now too), her powers had started stirring. Ice and fire battled inside her as she whimpered in pain.

"Soon, just a day more Eve, I promise," Feyre tried soothing her. Eve gave out a sob in response. Feyre was really worried by now, Eve needed help- all the time they had spent in the manor, Feyre had been so focused on her plan that when Eve told her the healers had done their work, she believed her friend. Sighing, Feyre weaved her hands through Eve's hair. She should have known Eve had lied. Hell, Feyre hadn't even spent more than 2 hours in a stretch with her, not knowing how Eve was doing in face of Mike's demise. Yes, Eve had said she was healing, she would be fine after getting her revenge, they spent time together but.... she could have done more ... somehow. Even if she knew only time could heal Eve.

Soon, the thoughts found a pause as Feyre drifted to sleep- full of guilt. She woke up to an enemy's face. Lucien's brothers. Cursing, she fought them with Lucien's help. Eve was a curled ball, whimpering and crying for Faebane. She was addicted, Feyre realized much to her dismay and horror.

Lucien dispatched his last brother who now lay unconscious on the cave's floor motioned Feyre to start climbing up the slope. He took Eve on piggyback and grunted as they fled the scene. Eve's sobs were the only thing that filled the air, haunting Feyre and Lucien.

Happy reading :)

XOXO,

the amazing author