The World Within

She held on to him. Like a ship held to a harbor in a storm by it's anchor, like a kite taking on mighty winds, with the sole support of the string. She held on to him. As if her life depended on it and while she held on, she let go. She gave in to the delicious warmth of surrendering everything to someone she knew would protect her.

In her most vulnerable moment, how strange, that she rested her head on the shoulders of the very man who she wanted to despise. 

Slowly, Avni raised her head and looked into the eyes, that watched her, with crystal clear clarity. There was something in his eyes, that told her he was ready to show, everything she wanted to see, he was ready to teach her everything she wanted to learn. 

How strange thought Avni. He knows before I ask, he gives before I need. 

But was it really strange?

"You do know I can read you as clearly as words in a book?" asked the Professor, watching her with calm and tender eyes.

"How?" said Avni, slowly coming back to her senses. "The things you do, the things you say, they scare me," she admitted, a slow frown forming in the middle of her brows.

"You do that a lot!" commented the professor, touching her between her brows, where the form was still forming. "Why do you humans do that?" he asked, as if in wonder.

"Why do you say that? I mean why do you ask like that?" she questioned, her frown deepening.

"Ask me the correct question and I will give you the correct answer," he replied mystically.

"Why do say things like you humans, is if somehow, you are ...." Avni stopped. She looked into the eyes of the professor, searching, she didn't know what for. What was she even trying to say?

A small smile curved his thin, forbidding lips. So cruel that he must smile, just as she was losing her mind, thought Avni, that too a most bewitching smile.

"Such amusing, amusing minds and thoughts... the best. Truly the best." remarked the professor, now smiling more openly.

"Are you talking about me?" asked Avni confused.

"Yes, of course, you and your kind," he stated without losing a second. "You were this close to learning the truth, but the resistance inside of you is so strong, it doesn't let you even get curious to know the truth. You said just now, you are scared, of what I say, what I do. Why?" he asked, the smile still intact.

"Why? What do you mean why? " retorted Avni, now slightly annoyed. They both still held each other, standing close, almost in an embrace. "It's just not normal, it's not what people do, it's not possible to do these things, it's just... not normal," she tried to justify why she felt the way she felt, she tried to find a coherent, solid reason, but all she could come up with that. 

The professor laughed at. "That's all you can think of, that it's not normal?" he asked, looking down on her, an imposing look on his face.

"Yeah... I don't know anyone who can do the things you do... do you know of someone like " she gestured at the professor with her hands.

"Yes, I know many, I have lived with many. And trust me, what I do, is very normal, in my part of the world. It's what everyone should be able to do, is capable of doing, just that they resist it," he stopped.

Before she could say something, he put a finger to her lips. Avni quietened down again. She watched him like a puppy in love with its master. The professor smiled at her gently. "In my hands, you are like clay, do you know that," he stated, looking at her, almost lovingly.

"Is that bad?" asked Avni innocently.

"No," said the professor, shaking his head gently. "it's a great quality to have. That's the first quality needed to learn what I want to teach you," he said, gently cupping her face with his right hand.

Avni closed her eyes and soaked in the warmth, a feeling of content coming all over her.

"You said, what I do, what I say, scares you. Now, think again. Why?" asked the professor, holding her by the shoulders now.

Avni opened her eyes and looked into his. His eyes had taken on a sharp, penetrating aura, pushing her to introspect. 

"Because I don't know how you can do it," she answered. "I just don't know how it can be possible!" she whispered, lowering her eyes to the ground.

The professor moved away from her, stepping back slowly and gradually. 

"All fear is born out of ignorance Avni. Ignorance is the root cause of all fears. It is not wrong or bad to be ignorant. It is wrong to think we know it all, when the truth is you are ignorant. Once you have understood, you do NOT know it all, it is wrong to remain or to want to remain ignorant. Where do you stand right now and what do you want to do now?" asked the professor.

He knew it had to be her call. Only when she was ready, would she be able to make that call and he would neither rush nor ignore the progress she was making. He knew all too well, that her resistance was breaking bit by bit, and he knew too that she was close. Soon, it would be time for her initiation. However, what he had not intended, was to feel this towering sense of affection towards her. There was no denying what he felt for her though. And he knew she felt it too.

'This is why keep coming here, over and over again,' the thought occurred to him. The usually calm face of the professor, bore a shroud of mystery, even as Avni stood watching the transition in his disposition.