Chapter 17: There will be happiness

Start from the beginning

Uncle Bobby used to work for my grandfather — my mother's father. He managed everything in the house, all the staff, all the work — and he still does. My parents moved into the house after they got married. It was a bit unconventional, but mom wanted to stay close to grandpa and she didn't want to leave him alone. Dad willingly agreed, from what I heard.

When grandpa passed away, we stayed in the house because well — It was our house. It was the house I grew up in... and then it became the house I was thrown out of. Sometimes, I wonder if things would have been different if grandpa were alive. Would he still hate me for who I am and throw me out of the house? Or would he be the only person on my side??

"So he is threatening the other house staff, isn't he?" I laughed, but it didn't really feel funny to me.

"Yes..."

"Of course, he did. Uncle. I actually — I just called to ask about mom. How is she doing? She is not drinking again, is she?"

"No absolutely not. There are no bottles in the house, Tine. And I make sure they never are. Your dad mistakenly leave some whisky bottles around the house a few times, but I made sure the staff picked it up right away."

"He did?" I would have been shocked about this any other day, but not now. Nothing about dad could shock me now. "How has dad been?"

"He has been abroad for most of the time since you left... Only comes home for a few days in a month."

"Uncle, I was thinking to come by the house to meet mom? She's mostly at home or does she go out often?"

"I am not sure if that would be a good idea Tine. While I am always on your side and you know I would never say a word to your father, but any of the other house staff could tell your dad about it. I am not sure what the consequences of that would be."

He didn't, but I knew the consequences of that. One of the staff members would for sure lose their jobs and then dad would get angry, very at mom.

"Yeah.. you are probably right, Uncle." I said. "But I-- I really need to talk to her. She never picks up my calls."

"She doesn't pick up your calls? Tine, she has told me so many times that she misses you. I wonder why she isn't picking up your call. Wait, Tine may be I could ask her to talk to you through my phone?"

"No. No. I — I really want to talk to her face to face. I don't know how much or what I'll be able to say to her over the phone..."

"Right... You know, she still goes to your favourite Magnolia Bakery a few times every week. May be you could meet her there? She usually goes in the evenings."

"She does? Really? Okay. Okay. May be I'll try to meet her there. Can you please let me know when she leaves the house? I'll try to be around that area."

"Yes I will Tine. She hasn't been to the bakery in quite some days. May be she will go today. I'll try to remind her too."

"Today? Wow. Umm.. yes, let me know if she goes there today or any other days to be honest. Call me the moment she is about to leave the house."

"I will, Tine. I really hope things get resolved soon and you come back home."

"Thank you for the help, Uncle."

"There is no need for you to thank me, Tine. Call me from time to time even if things don't work out and let me know if you need anything"

"I will, Uncle. Goodbye"

As I put down the phone, I looked up through the car window and saw Sarawat, leaning against the sidewalk and staring at me. How long had he been staring at me?