L

I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep until I woke up at 9am the next morning. I noticed that Elena wasn't next to me. The bed was empty. I quickly got dressed and flashed downstairs where I could hear her voice in the kitchen.
Elena POV-

I woke up, still without clothes, and laying halfway on top of a peacefully sleeping Kol. I decided that I would let him sleep and try to do the blood by myself this morning. I quickly got dressed and flashed downstairs to the kitchen, opening the freezer. As soon as I opened it, the scent of blood hit me like a ton of bricks. I hadn't even realized that I was drinking it until I felt someone pulling me away from the freezer. I knew it wasn't Kol, I could smell the difference. I turned to face whoever pulled me away from the blood.

"Elijah?" I said questioningly as I turned around. I suddenly began to panic, seeing blood all over my clothes. And if Elijah was here already that meant that klaus couldn't be far behind.

"Elena, calm down. You will be fine." He said in a controlling tone. I was crying, I hadn't even realized I had lost control. I guess I hadn't realized how much I actually needed Kol around.

"Elijah, I didn't- I couldn't- I had no idea what was happening." I told him, still crying.

"Elena, you have only been a vampire for a few days. I hear Kol waking up, I'm sure he will be here in a moment. " he said, looking towards the kitchen entrance.

Kol-POV

I could smell the blood as soon as I entered the kitchen, I saw Elijah holding Elena's shoulders down in a seat. She was covered in blood. I looked at the freezer, which had blood everywhere. She had tried to feed herself. I was immediately in front of her, pulling her to me as she cried. I nodded at Elijah, who understood it as thanks and retreated to clean himself up.

"I'm so sorry, please don't be mad at me." She said into my chest as she cried. I pulled her away to look at me.

"Elena, don't ever apologize for this. Listen to me, you are a newborn vampire. Even hundred year old vampires have problems controlling themselves around that much blood. I could never be mad at you. Now let's go get you cleaned up." I said, leaving the mess around the freezer. I knew once I had Elena upstairs, Elijah would clean it up as I helped her.

"I thought I could do it by myself, it has been so easy while I'm around you. How can you open that freezer without it even affecting you?" She asked as I put her down in the bathroom and helped her get the bloody clothes off.

"Darling, I am over a thousand years old. I have had plenty of time to get used to that. The only blood that gets to me now is yours, love." I told her. I had learned how to control myself quickly when I became a vampire I just didn't want to. There was a difference.

"Oh, I'm sorry I made such a mess. As soon as I opened the door, the scent hit me and I literally saw red. I didn't even know I was drinking the blood until Elijah pulled me away, it all happened too fast." She said starting to cry again as I turned the shower on, watching the blood swirl around the drain.

"Elena, no more apologizing. It is different when you are around me, I am your mate. My scent and blood helps cancel out most of the bloodlust, but when you are not close to me, you don't have that extra help. When you drink my blood, the reason it helps is because it is running through your veins, you constantly smell it, feel it. You haven't had my blood since yesterday afternoon. It was out of your system. That's why you responded so strongly." I stepped in the shower with her after discarding the shorts I had put on. My chest was covered in blood, but was quickly washed off. I took the soap and began washing her, feeling her disappointment in herself.

"My love, it was only a freezer of blood bags, there is nothing to be disappointed in yourself for. You didn't hurt anyone. And you won't." I told her as I began to wash the blood out of her hair. The smell didn't even bother me anymore.