6. why do you like me?

Wat's pov

All night, Tine cried in his room. He refused to dine with us and did not even talk to mom.

"What did you say to him Wat?" Mom had asked me, "he was so happy before leaving."

I ignored her and kept feeding myself.

"Wat he left his home to be here for what? Crying alone with empty stomach? You really don't feel pity on him, do you?"

I clenched my jaws and glared at her.

"So I'm the one who's hurting him?" I asked and she zipped her lips.

"If anything, I'm protecting him from getting hurt."

I left the table because knowing Tine hadn't eaten, my appetite was gone too.

But every moment I was recalling how he cried when he slapped me like it was his skin that burnt, I was dying a little.

Tine was too good for me. But I was no angel and if being selfish was the only way I could earn his love, I was ready to be. 

I kept telling myself I could at least try. How wise could it be to push someone you want to keep all for yourself, away?

At midnight, I knocked his gate.

"Tine please open the door" I said, for the fifth time. 

He didn't.

I sat in front of his gate and perhaps dozed off. My eyes opened when he opened the door.

"What are you doing on the floor?" He asked indifferently or so he pretended.

"What time is it?" I asked, rubbing my eyes.

"It's four in the morning" Tine whispered, "just go sleep."

Saying that, he started shutting his door again but I blocked it by my hand.

"Tine" I said, "talk to me. I know you opened the door for me."

"I did not open the door for you, stop flattering yourself" he said sheepishly, "I was hungry because I skipped dinner."

"Oh" I said, "wait let me bring you some food."

"Wat stop it- "

I ran towards the kitchen, trying best not to make noise.

"Take this" I said, coming back, "mom had kept for you in the fridge."

He took the platter and started shutting the door, I blocked again but he slammed the door and my finger was pressed between the doorstep and the wall.

"Fuck!" I hissed in pain, pulling my hand in reflex, jerking the painful vibrations away.

"Get in" he said, unamused.

...

Tine was eating silently on the bed while I was watching him from the chair.

I said slowly, "Tine I have no idea how to apologize. I just -"

I was at loss of words. Even I didn't know what I wanted.

He kept munching on his food, his eyes on the bed.

"Invite me somewhere" he said blankly, "and humiliate me when I arrive. Simple."

I flustered and bent my eyes down.

"I have never said sorry in my life but I'm saying to you right now. I'm sorry Tine for tonight."

He shrugged, "I had never slapped anybody in my life before. Don't you just agree that doing something you never did feels so good?"