XXVIII. SARAH CAMERON

Start from the beginning

"And today is not that day" She mumbled, glancing up at the big grey cloud coming overhead. As if on cue, thunder rolled in.

"Nope, today isn't the day" Pope agreed, shaking his head a little.

Returning back to the Chateau, John B and Avery were left alone. JJ and Pope had agreed to help Heyward with delivering groceries, and Kiara was on a shift. The blonde had just sat up from her spot opposite her friend to grab a beer, all this working out and staring at a map made her crave one.

"What are you doing here?" John B's voice spoke up. Avery froze in her steps, spotting the Kook Princess standing besides the chair she just abandoned.

"I realised I didn't get a chance to respond the other day after you spat in my face and yelled at me, and you stormed off like a child," Sarah Cameron stated, causing John B to frown softly and blink cluelessly at her. "So, first of all, I'm not a liar. I don't know how Ward found out about the scuba gear, but I swear it was not me. I'm not the reason you got fired"

"Okay" The brunet shrugged his shoulders. He wasn't sure what she wanted from him, or why she was here exactly, but he chose to tolerate it and not start anything again.

"That's all. Good talk" Sarah simply said and started to walk away. She haltered in her trek and dug into her bag, tossing a bag of chips his way, "Oh. Your favourite. Good catch"

With that she turned back around and continued walking. Avery choked on her giggle at the expression on John B's face as he hugged the packet of chips. She peered around the wall to ensure that the Kook was out of sight before re-emerging, holding two beers in hand.

"What the hell?" The boy whispered to himself. His body jolted in surprise when Avery spoke up.

"Yeah, what the hell? Spill it, John B" She tried her best to bite back the smile itching to spread across her face. Avery plonked herself back down into her previous seat and set the beers on the small table in between them.

"How much of that did you hear?" John B stared at her like a deer in headlights, only making it harder for her to keep a straight face.

"All of it," She shrugged her shoulders, leaning back in the chair she sat on. "When were you going to tell me that Sarah Cameron was an friend of yours?"

"More like acquaintance. She caught me stealing her dad's scuba gear, promised me she wouldn't say anything. But then, I got fired and accused her" He explained, narrowing his eyes at the grin tugging at his friend's lips as she raised her eyebrows at him.

"She is definitely crushing on you" Avery causally stated. He spat out a short laugh of disbelief. She gushed dramatically and leaned forwards, "oh, come on! I know what it's like to crush on you–"

"You had a crush on me?" He smirked, making her roll her eyes at him.

"Yeah, you already know that," She scoffed and waved him off, fully aware that she told him about her very short lived, childish crush on him. "My point is, I can tell. Princess came to the Cut to talk to you unnecessarily, and then gives you a packet of your favourite chips. Come on!"

"What have these got to do with anything?" John B snickered and waved the packet at her.

"Duh, she's noticing the small things and using them against you. It's what girls do. It's like a subtle way of flirting!" Avery stated. She snatched the packet from his hand and pinched them open, dig her hand in before he could think about stopping her. 

"You always get JJ his juice boxes and that  peanut butter he likes" John B teasingly pointed out. She glared at him, knowing exactly what he was doing. "Exactly!"

"This isn't about me" She huffed, failing to completely suppress her smile, and tossed a chip at him.

AUTHORS NOTE!
avery and sarah's dynamic is going to be way different to what you might think. the main reason avery probably doesn't like sarah is because she's a kook, she doesn't know about kie's past and the drama during her kook year yet. not sure what i'm going to do with our two blonde queens yet though??
also, for those that celebrate, merry christmas! hope you all have a good time and stay safe, all the love from me to you!