Chapter 11.

11一 fiery shadows

11一 fiery shadows

༻𖥸༺

IT WAS ONLY THROUGH HIS OWN SELF imposed control that Nezu managed to curb all urges to do nothing but vibrate in his seat. It was a near thing, bombarding the man before him with countless questions.

He'd reigned in his scientific mind and began with the more routine-esque inquiries required by the police to be answered. If the monotony of this bothered the hunter, he was doing an excellent job at concealing that displeasure.

It was halfway through his impromptu interrogatory and mid-voicing "What behavioral patterns has your ward shown in your care?" that Jin-Woo turned to look at said ward with a gaze of fondness and thin amusement.

While nothing was obviously wrong at first glance, Nezu could clearly see the anxiety the child had as she buried her fingers in the hunter's shadow soldier. She was getting antsy, possibly by being confined to a space that she intellectually knew she could leave, but emotionally felt like such an action would be frowned upon.

"Do you need some fresh air Eri?" The low timber of the hunter fished her attention towards him, a surprised look on her cherubic face. Nodding shyly from behind bluish white hair, the girl's gleaming red eyes sparkled with hope.

"Take Fenris with you." That was apparently all the permission Eri needed as she smiled at her guardian and bolted for the doors, the large wolf following at a more sedate pace at her heels.

They waited in silence as the door closed with an audible click and the Nation Rank hunter turned to look at the principal. Inclining his head in what could have possibly been an apology, the tall man barreled on, uncaring of the tension suddenly lining Aizawa's shoulders, "She'll be fine. There are two other soldiers on her."

Well, at least the man was thorough. While it did little to soothe Eraser's nerves, it did kick the teacher's head into gear on a more logical path. (And he denied being a motherhen, blasphemy.)

With the child now gone from the room, the chimera took a deep breath and allowed the more sensitive questions to spill. "I noticed that, contrary to previous accounts, there are no scars on young Eri's hands and legs. Why is that?"

Bottomless eyes peered at him from between pitch black strands of hair. "Recovery potions. Crafted with mana for the sole purpose of leaving behind unblemished skin." after an injury was gone unsaid but fully understood.

Truthfully, Nezu could mark all of the questions provided by the police as answered by simply observing the man interacting with the victim. It was obvious that the hunter took the little girl's health and safety very seriously, making her happiness a priority.