Chapter 7.

7一 life is the art of dying

༻𖥸༺

JIN-WOO MIGHT HAVE DONE A SLIGHT miscalculation when he decided to take care of the little girl named Eri, but now, namely three hours after the incident in the back alley, it was too late to change his course of action. (Curse him an his soft spot for children.)

Eri was currently sleeping off most of today's stress and would probably not come to trust him anytime soon. Which, in hindsight, understandable.

Having attached two of his high orc shadows to the white haired child, Jin-Woo was contemplating what to make for dinner for the girl. He didn't know if she had a problem with spicy foods or was allergic to anything that he had in the fridge.

Spicy foods were good to relieve stress, but he knew most Japanese people had a low to mid tolerance to it and he didn't know the word 'moderation' when working with pepper and paprika.

So, something warm but easy to eat by a girl that hasn't reached the double digits in age.

Wreaking his brain for comfort foods that his mom used to make for him and Jin-Ah when they were little was embarrassingly harder than he would have liked, but his memory finally pulled through for him.

A nurungji soup with an anchovy based broth and egg. That dish reminded him of when he accidentally pushed his sister too hard on the swings and made her fall out of it, ending up with so many scrapes and bruises that they both went home to their parents in tears.

It was a fond memory, if anything. Though cooking had never been one of his strong suits, he wasn't hopeless in the kitchen.

Mind made up, he headed down the stairs to get started on dinner.

────────────────────────

WAKING UP IN AN UNFAMILIAR PLACE had Eri's every meager survival instinct blaring up in alarm. That lasted the whole of five minutes until a knock on the door startled her out of her fear. In the labs, no-one bothered to knock on her door.

"Eri-chan, can I come in?" The voice on the other side was startlingly familiar and it seemed that her memory chose that moment to kick itself into gear and remind her of the tall, kind man that rescued her.

"Eri-chan? Is everything alright?"

Noticing that she'd stretched her silence for too long, she shouted out, "Y-Yes! Come in!"

As the door opened, her saviour chuckled, but it wasn't the mean-sounding one she was used to hear. This one was filled with good humor and fondness and she found it odd, yet not unpleasant. Quite the opposite, she... liked the sound of his laughter.