⊰ 20 ⊱

"How irresponsible of the Royal Guard to disappear just like that." his arrival was welcomed by the Imperial guard himself.

"I had some unexpected personal matters to attend to."

"I suppose you have taken care of the work you were assigned?"

"I have gotten rid of the tainted body and set the soul free." Seonghwa raised an eyebrow over the sense of articulation used by his underling, completely up to his liking.

"That's a nice way to put it." He hummed in acknowledgement.
--

As promised, after two days Jongho arrived.

Yeosang was awake and received him with a smile oh so serene. Jongho couldn't help but feel giddy.

He settled down beside him as they both smiled in the silence.

He wanted that moment to last longer, but he knew he had to ask the inevitable question.

"Where would you be heading to?"

And it did turn the ambience sombre. Yeosang stayed silent, he just kept looking at his palms facing him.

"I don't want to go back."

Jongho was surprised by the statement the non-resident made. "It's better if they think I am dead."

Jongho frowned over the pain in his voice. This butterfly has suffered so much even before the torment that they inflicted on him, the realisation alone was heart-breaking.

"Why?" he asked.

"I remember picking you from the Royal Marquees' camp. What would be so bothering for a Royalty to think that way?"

Yeosang looked surprised but soon exchanged it with a sullen expression. The silence followed, but Jongho waited patiently, he was not going to push him to answer if he didn't feel like sharing it.

But he really did want to know.

"I am not what you think." He paused.

"I-"

Jongho was now really intrigued; what was it? Even though he had said to him nothing was unhidden, he still didn't know anything about him. And now he felt stupid for letting himself drown in the unknown waters. Though he still held no intention to swim out, he'd rather dive down to the depths of it and meet his demons there, instead of abandoning him.