⊰ 3 ⊱

The cool breeze only added to his agony as it rubbed the captive's open wounds the wrong way. He had lost the count of injuries that his body wielded; he knew with the haze in his eyes, he was going to pass out, again.

But the sudden, unscheduled stomps, echoing in the alley, alerted all his senses. He winced at the thought of his agony approaching.

The footsteps suggested there was just one person. Strange; maybe the Royal Guard wasn't accompanying this time. Well, he only added more to his humiliation, being an audience to his show.

He counted the footsteps, not even lifting his head to meet his visitor, he had memorized how many it took to reach him from the gates. But they stopped amid; the inaction, as it lingered, made him look up to dispel the swelling anxiety in his chest. It simmered down in an instant; an inaudible sigh of relief escaped his chapped lips. It was not the Imperial Guard.

--

That was the first-ever instance Jongho came alone to visit him. Given that this was an unrevealed, clandestine endeavour, his Master wasn't there.

Jongho was well aware of the repercussions of that specific effort, so he made it completely clear, "If you get caught, you will be in huge trouble." He dropped his pouch in the view and stepped out before anyone witnessed anything; the captive was left behind, beyond perplexed.

After a few hours Jongho understood it necessary to erase any evidence of his transaction, and so he paid a visit again. He had expected the captive to have wolfed down on the stuff by now given how famished he would have been but was met with disappointment.

He had been unmoved; the pouch laid there on the floor intact, just had caught some moisture from the wet floor.

It had him amazed and disheartened simultaneously, how he still hadn't accepted his token of concern.

He realised he was his enemy, his captor, how could he have regarded the contents of this unexpected grace and concluded it to be for his wellbeing, and possibly not a way of slowly poisoning him?

Picking up the pouch, he stepped near his chained form. His advances made the other reduce the impossible gap between him and the wall behind.

The silence, again, seemed to be petrifying the inmate. But it was killed by the thud of his pouch; the contents spilling out revealing the herbs, some dried prunes, and a cold hard block of meat.

"It's not poison."

The captive snapped to look at him as if he'd seemingly thrown heaven at his feet.

Jongho stared in those petrified baby blues with pure concern, the man didn't deserve this. It was brutality beyond his capacity to swallow.

Right now, he hated himself for acting on Seonghwa's decision of captivating this harmless bird.

The little clank of shackles brought his array of thoughts to an abrupt halt, he took a look at his face one last time before he turned to walk away.