Chapter 24: Stains

"Dashiell, go find your brother now," Cate said sternly.

"Yes, ma'am," Dash returned, scooting out his chair.

"Ignatius, take your sister downstairs to play," she continued.

Iggy complied, rounding the table and taking Edith by the hand to help her off the chair.

Cate whispered to herself, turning to ascend the stairs, "What in the hell has gotten in to that child."

When she finally reached the top, she started down the hallway, stopping at her bedroom door to softly knock. You were sitting on the bed, wiping underneath your eyes with a tissue to rid the smears of black mascara.

"Come in," you spoke in response to the knock.

The door slowly creeped open. Cate offered a sympathetic hello and shut the door behind her again.

"Hi," you whispered back, putting the tissue on the bed beside you and laying your hands in your lap. Your eyes were focused on the movements of your anxious fingers.

Cate came in front of you, putting her knees to the floor and kneeling down. She placed her hands on your upper thighs, stroking them gently.

"I'm so, so sorry, baby. I had no idea that was going to happen. If I did, I never would hav-"

You cut her off, running a hand over her cheek, "You don't have to apologize."

You then let out a short laugh.

"What's funny?" Cate asked with confused expression.

"I definitely wasn't overthinking," you chuckled again, a few more tears managing to escape.

Cate shook her head and slowly stood up, placing her legs between yours and wrapping her arms around your head and shoulders. You mimicked her motions, pulling her in close by the lower back. You rested your head against the bottom of her breasts, closing your eyes and breathing deeply.

Cate spoke lowly, "I can't apologize enough, my love. You know that you did not mess up this family. If anything, from my point of view, you made it feel whole again."

You pulled back slightly, her eyes finding yours as her right hand went to the side of your face. She brushed the pad of her thumb across the soft skin.

"You're my everything," Cate sincerely admitted.

A small smile found your face, your hand navigating to rub Cate's forearm.

"I love you more than life itself, Cate Blanchett."

You saw a single tear start to run down her cheek.

"Now look who's crying," you joked. "Come here."

Cate leaned in slightly, bringing her face even with yours. You moved to softly kiss the drop of water. You then placed your lips on her nose, reaching the final destination of her mouth on the next touch.

The kiss was tender and wet, full of nothing but love and admiration. You stayed there for an extended moment, your left hand trailing to the back of her head to maintain leverage. When the two of you broke, you kept your foreheads together, brushing your noses back and forth against one another.

"You make everything better," you whispered.

Cate sighed lowly, "I wish I didn't have to."

"It's not your fault," you responded quietly.

Cate moved to sit next to you on the bed and you shifted a bit to face her. You moved your hands to grasp hers as they rested in her lap.

"It feels like everything is my fault these days," she muttered, spinning the rings on your fingers