Chapter 8: Time

You were on your way to Cate's house when you realized that someone definitely needed to take care of Blue. You texted one of your closest co-workers to see if they'd do you the favor of watching her for the night, and they politely obliged.

You were sitting in her car watching the pedestrians comb the streets, as you made your way to her house. Cate was resting her head on the window, her hand relaxing on your thigh. Your arm laced around hers as you played with the rings on her hand, your own head found its way to her shoulder.

You always wanted to be touching her. Even if it was simply holding on to the belt loop of her jeans, that's where you wanted to be. On the inside, being near her just wasn't enough.

After some time, you were pulling up to her home, more like manor, tucked away in the hills. You had never seen something so beautiful. Black iron gates surrounded the exterior boundaries of the old red-bricked Victorian.

It was so, Cate.

The automatic gates opened along with your mouth.

"Cate you didn't tell me you had a mansion in your back pocket. I mean, I should've figured. God, this makes my apartment look like a mouse trap in comparison."

Cate let out a deep, velvet laugh.

"You're such a silly girl," she responds.

You can't do anything but take in the beauty of your surroundings. Everything about it was perfect, everything about her was perfect.

Soon, you reach what had to be an eight-car garage at the back of the estate. The black Escalade pulls in and Cate slowly climbs out, reaching her hand for you to hold as you exit. She guides you with her other hand at the small of your back.

"Welcome to my little slice of heaven, darling."

You look around, dumbfounded by elegance of your surroundings, even if it was just a garage.

"I don't think that word heaven suffices," you respond with an enormous smile on your face.

She intertwines her hand with yours, leading you into her home. It is hard to describe how absolutely breathtaking it is.

Extraordinarily high ceilings, white washed walls, beautifully laid wooden flooring, windows galore, golden stair casings, colossal chandeliers of the same gold, artwork massive enough to cover entire panels of interior walls.

It was EVERYTHING. Everything you could ever dream of having one day.

"Cate, I know this house and I just met, but I think I'm in love," you speak dramatically, throwing your hand on your head, as if you're about to faint. You playfully lean backwards into Cate and she 'catches' you.

You share a smile. She pushes you gently off of her and she rolls her eyes before bantering, "I was supposed to be the one to sweep you off your feet, not some inanimate objects."

You throw your hand on her chest, "Oh darling, don't you worry. We still have time for that yet."

You wink at her in the process before turning around and walking towards her golden staircase.

"Listen, love. You might get closer to that feet sweeping thing if you give me a tour of that bedroom closet," you say, almost skipping on to the first step, and wiggling your hand in the direction of upstairs.

She looks down, putting her hands in her pockets. She tries to hide it but you can see her bite her lip.

You continue enticingly up the stairs, Cate merely watching your slow movements. You sway your hips side to side a bit more than usual to tempt Cate in your direction. The only sound of the house being your heels clicking on the delicate marble with each step you take.