Chapter 14: Bambina

A/N
I know that Edith is adopted in real life, and also that she is six now, but for the sake of this story she was naturally conceived and her age is four. Enjoy!
____

You were changing the laundry to the dryer when you heard the garage door open. You smiled externally, your heart pounding a little harder when you heard a second step of foot steps.

Cate spoke sweetly, "Go put your things in your room and come back down, so we can get a snack and then get changed!"

You heard small feet scurry through the kitchen in the direction of the stairs, but suddenly stop again.

You heard the young girl squeal, "Mommy! Doggy!"

"Leave the doggy alone, Bambina. She needs a big nap so she can play with you the rest of the day!"

The sound of feet hitting the hard wood resumed.

"Love?" Cate called softly.

"Laundry," you raised your voice slightly.

She walked in, a tired look on her face, almost pouty. Her arms dangled by her side.

"Hi," you said, throwing your the last pieces of clothing in the dryer and shutting the door.

You returned a similar facial expression as you walked towards her figure. You held your arms open and she slipped inside. You could tell she needed that hug.

Her fingers dug slightly into your back, her head buried in your neck. You felt her take a few deep breathes as you held her. You caressed the back of her head with one hand, your other cascading from the base of her skull to her upper back.

You stood there for a nearly a minute before you pulled a way, still in each other's embrace, but separated enough to see her face.

"What can I do?" You ask.

"Nothing, just being here is enough," she affirmed softly.

She pulled you into another hug, squeezing tighter than before. You kissed her temple as she melted in to you.

You both heard small footsteps coming down the stairs causing you to divide. She kissed your lips quickly, yet hard and desperately, before turning around to find her little girl. You came up beside her to grab her hand, unsure if you were reassuring Cate or yourself.

You turned a corner and there the gorgeous child stood, a spitting image of her mother. Blonde wavy locks that curled slightly at the ends, eyes as blue as the ocean.

"Edie," Cate said, stepping closer to her and taking her hand. "This is y/n, Mommy's new special friend that I told you about."

You bent at your knees, coming down to Edith's height. The little girl hid her body behind Cate's legs, her head peaking out on one side. Cate instinctively grazing her fingers through the baby's hair.

"It's so nice to meet you, Edith," you said, gripping your hand on Cate's thigh, to not only maintain your balance, but to gain proximity towards the young girl. You wanted to avoid touching her directly, as you didn't want to make her more uncomfortable, so Cate was the best you were going to do.

Cate's other hand came to rest on your shoulder.

Edith looked between you and her mother a few times, appropriately nervous. You thought quickly to call Blue over, the dog almost immediately coming to your side.

"Edith, this is my puppy, Blue. She loves to be pet, see?"

You took your empty hand and patted the dogs ahead a few times. Edith looked up at Cate once more, her mother encouraging her that it was okay. Edith slowly crept out from behind Cate's legs. You went and grabbed a toy that Taryn had dropped off the night prior and handed it to Edith. Blue almost immediately jumped up and down in excitement.