22: Turntable Motivation

"She's not here anymore," Jude murmured as Silus brought him to the stone path of the castle.

Silus looked at him, "how could you possibly know that?"

"You don't have to believe me. In fact, don't. I'd rather you waste your time here," Jude shrugged.

Silus twisted around to glare at the aging muse. He used his broad shoulders and sharp, sturdy angles to intimidate him as he leaned forward.

"If I were you, I wouldn't be this casual. I've got a handgun on my person and magic in my bones."

Jude breathed slowly to collect himself. At least he was rattled. Silus felt good about that. But the muse stood his ground and insisted as a warm breeze swept over the sand, the water, and the two of them, "you're not going to hurt me."

"You'll never play the same again because of me," Silus reminded with a sneer.

"But that wasn't your fault. That was... oh, what was his name... Lovell -that's right. My hand was Lovell's doing," Jude explained. His eyes fell to his palm, however and his gaze mourned the dexterity. Silus made sure the pain wasn't too bad, but the psychological threat was probably most upsetting for the muse. Jude even whispered, "if I had known that was my last concert..."

When Silus turned around to get away from this bad stageplay that was his current predicament, a pumpkin gnome panted loudly as he sprinted toward them, seemingly all the way from the castle. As soon as he got within ten feet of Silus, he jerked to a stop and screamed.

"Have you seen a mute Bell Spirit, gnome?" Silus asked roughly.

The pumpkin gnome put his little hands on his pumpkin hat and cowered with knees knocking together. His round, button eyes inflated with the sight of him.

"P-please," he began, only half-turned toward Silus out of fear, "I'm Winswicker the Second, the Shy! And M-M-Mavah the Ace of Wishes has told me to t-t-t-tell you that you're not welcome here."

"I don't give a damn if I'm welcome. Have you seen a mute Bell Spirit or not?" Silus lowered into a kneel just to get his snakes closer to the frightened Winswicker.

"She left!" he squeaked.

"And where'd she go?" Silus prowled forward on his hands to jut his face toward Winswicker the Second.

"Sh-she took a ferry to the Land of Captivators," the gnome blurted out under one breath.

"She didn't," Silus breathed, losing all his professional armor as his face fell.

Winswicker the Second nodded, shielding his eyes from Silus though he dropped his threatening act. Jude shuffled up behind him.

"What does that mean? What's wrong?" he hesistantly questioned.

Silus pushed into the ground and propelled himself onto his feet. He took off toward the beach, eyes already scanning for a ferry to take away from the island of the Hollow Realm.

"Please, tell me what made you worried like that," Jude trailed after Silus to the beach. He couldn't keep up with the demon, but he was good at always catching up, "is she in danger? Do you think she might be killed?"

"The place that she's going is..." Silus faltered. Why should he be concerned at all? It would be difficult, but he could still bring Kit back to the Collector even after she was changed. And in any case, if he was worried for her, he didn't need to tell Jude that. Jude didn't need any more reason to think that Silus was sweet on Kit.

"I can't help you find her if you don't tell me what's happening," Jude pointed out.

"It doesn't matter. I can bring her back either way," Silus groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. He stormed further away from Jude, grumbling, "it's just... not the place she thinks it is."