Chapter 124 - Largesse

Start from the beginning

"Yes, they have confirmed their participation." He answered as he pulled open my schedule and notes on his phone.

"Make sure each resident in the building is invited, and business owners. Also, Sunny Ishida, Jackson's girlfriend. She'll kill me if she can't get google her boyfriend in silk." I smiled, realising how much I enjoyed meeting Sunny the other day. "Make sure she's on the list for security tomorrow too. No doubt Jackson will drag her along to rehearsals."

"Can do. Most everyone in the building have been invited. Grandma Overmeyer had them included on the list." Grant reminded me of who was also involved in the invitations and organising of the show.

"I need to buy her and mum and Wallace a thank you gift. Any ideas?" I asked.

"Cars, jewels, wine. Take your pick." He shrugged. What do you buy for people who already have everything?

"That's no help." I grumbled and sat there for a moment, looking out the car window, thinking about the last timeline for anything that had been given to the Overmeyers as gifts or bribes that I remember them enjoying.

I didn't stay too long with the family the first time around and only remember being a lot jealous at their lavish lifestyle. I frown as I remember the selfish and immature, foolish and stupid girl I was back then. I wish so much that I could go back and tell her to stop being the depraved deviant that she was. I take a deep breath, thankful once again for this new life, this rebirth.

I quickly wipe the stray tear and smile at my reflection in the window. You grew up, good on ya girl. I told myself, and turned back to the impromptu organisational meeting with my team.

"Jade. We'll go with jade. Please find the new catalogue for the Jade Merchant in town. They are a new outlet from the large Jade corporation in the capital. Three medium statuettes for desk tops, please. Can I leave that with you, Grant?"

"Spending limit?" He asked as he nodded.

"Hmmm." That was a hard one. Too much and you risk eating into profits from the sales I've already made. I've had to put quite a bit into the café and building safety improvements and the show has cost a mint already. I pulled out my phone and opened my banking app, signed in and almost screamed at the Pyrus Projects business account. That was a lot of zeros.

Confused as to why there was so much in there, I quickly sorted out the deposits and found a large amount deposited from Wallace's building management corporation with what amounted to a year's worth of investment for just Liberty Building alone.

I swallowed my saliva and looked up to a Grant who was grinning like an idiot, pretending that he didn't just see me check out my business bank balance. I squinted my eyes at him.

"You knew about this?" I asked.

"Took you long enough. Mr Overmeyer back paid the building profits for the last year. You obviously haven't checked your business accounts in a while." He snorted.

"Why?" I murmured, confused at my step father's generosity.

"He asked me to remind you to, and I quote: "Always, always check the date for any handover on contracts. Always." His voice deepened as he quoted Wallace, mimicking his deeper voice.

"Handover date?" I asked. Then pulled up the digital copy of the building contract and ownership papers on my phone. It took me until we arrived at the estate and parked that I finally found what I was looking for. The date of the handover for Liberty Building contact was the date the contract was signed, but the year was for a year earlier.

"Holy shhhhh!" I half screamed. That was a lot of free money and a huge, HUGE gift that Wallace and my mother had given me. But it was also a liability too. If there was anything wrong with the building, in legal, maintenance or finances, I would be screwed. Check the dates. For everything. Another wisdom gem that Wallace was teaching me the hard way.

I signed in relief when I realise that there is nothing wrong with the building, contracts, tenants, maintenance or otherwise. He hadn't set me up, nor had he dumped a mess on me. He had literally given me a gold mine and taught me a valuable lesson in the process. I wanted to cry all over again.

Sniffing, I gave Patricia and Grant a watery smile as their worried faces came into view. "I'm OK. Just overwhelmed by his generosity." I assured them.

"Here." Grant handed me another packet of tissues and patted me on the shoulder. I wiped my face and blew my nose.

"Let's make it ten million each jade ornament, please Grant." I confirmed his spending limit for the thank you gifts and took a deep breath. Time for the next thing on our plate.

We got out of the SUV as an estate working climbed in to drive it to the staff garage. Our new cargo van had arrived, all black and shiny, matching the SUV. Grant thanked the security guy and gave him a hundred bucks as a tip and taxi fare home.

We all arrived at the back of the cargo van just as Grant was opening it so we could all help unload the merchandise. He opened the back doors only to gasp in shock.

"What? What is it?" I asked as I arrived to see what he was looking at.

The van was empty.