Every part of her knew that when she left, he felt the same way, that empty, wondering feeling. He was one of her best friend's, like a brother to her, and he was the one that believed in her, just like she believed in him. The way he mindlessly phased it made it seem otherwise, convincing her differently for a few seconds, not that she liked to admit that.

It didn't only slap her around the face but also affected her friend's. Kiara hesitantly gazed over to the blonde sitting in the backseat, her face fell at the tang of pain that spread through her chest. Even if she was still working on forgiving Avery, she couldn't help but feel horrible, reading her easily to know that what was said pained her.

Similarly Pope's forehead crinkled into a frown, having to bite back the defensive comment once he saw the look that had fallen on Avery's face. He was about to reach out for her, to take her hand or lay a hand on her shoulder, give her a sense of comfort and make her acknowledge that he didn't side with John B in that moment, that he was there for and with her. Although he haltered in his movement when he noticed JJ already reaching out.

The blond boy used his foot to tap it against her leg. He watched her carefully drag her eyes towards his boot, still refusing to look up. JJ ignored Pope's attempt to clear the air, offering impossible and humorous conclusions as to where Big John could be. He leaned over, resting his elbows on his knees and outstretched one hand, placing it over her knee.

Very reluctantly, Avery raised her eyes to meet his. She couldn't decipher the expression on his face, knowing that he was masking his real emotions to save her. He wanted to snap at John B for being inconsiderate but didn't want to add to the tension that was only just thinning around them, nor did he want to start an argument. He knew Avery would have a reasoning, that she will tell him that she understands and dismiss the whole thing.

"What do you think the message is?" Kiara diverted the conversation, shortly after scolding Pope. Although he wasn't as bothered at him as she seemed as he succeeded with thinning the air that surrounded them.

"Redfield, Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dad's favourite place" John B mumbled, forcing himself to glue his eyes on the road ahead. He realised what he had said, regretting it as soon as slipped off his tongue.

It wasn't long until they were pulling up to the lighthouse. Avery wanted to sit this one out, in all honesty, she didn't want to face John B. Her best friend was the first to move once the van was in park, JJ grabbed the side door and slid it open. He stepped out and turned around, letting Pope, who followed him out, pass by him.

Letting out a sigh, Avery forced herself to move and waddled over to the opened door. A hand stuck out in front of her and she gladly took it, jumping out. The leafy ground rustled and crunched up her converse soles. She released JJ's hand as she walked ahead of him, leaving him to slid the door shut behind them.

The lighthouse wasn't unfamiliar to Avery, she had visited it a couple times with her father. They would spend some time up top, leaning over the wonky, and probably unsafe, banister, watching the waves crash against the land and rocks. Occasionally they spotted some surfers, observing them from afar.

"Right. Here's what's going to happen. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B spoke quickly, pointing a finger at the messy haired blond.

"Wait, why me?" JJ uttered, confusion settling on his face.

"Because you're not coming" Pope pointed out the obvious, only making JJ question it again. "Look, JJ, there are independent and dependent variables. And you're a independent variable. We don't know what you'll do"

In the mist of the two's bickering, Avery caught John B's gaze. His honey eyes were soft and burning into hers, like he was trying to silently speak to her. The blonde couldn't decipher what he was trying to convey to her, briefly glancing away, looking back at him when he spoke up.

"Hey, Aves, I'm sorry about–"

"It's fine, John B, really" She butted, not particularly wanting to hear his apology at that moment. She needed a little more time to get over it.

"No, it's not fine. I shouldn't have–"

"But you still said it. Look," Her voice rose in volume. She turned her head and grabbed JJ and Pope's attention, "Pope and I, we will stand on lookout with JJ. If we get spilt up, we meet up at JJ's house. Okay?"

"Great" Kiara awkwardly confirmed, stepping backwards.

AUTHORS NOTE!editing this, i only just realised that i cut the last chapter short and never got to the part with the rooster

AUTHORS NOTE!
editing this, i only just realised that i cut the last chapter short and never got to the part with the rooster. so, rip rooster. but this one must have be one of the first chapters i had planned from the start, with jb's dialogue, i thought it was perfect to adjust and include. a lot more of avery's story is starting to come in play ;)