"Ryan and I were just going to see my uncle. I-I certainly didn't think you would be....here."

The brow rose higher. "That so? Are you suggesting I should not be here?"

Nicky shook her head vigorously, wisps of blonde hair swaying with the movement. "No, that isn't what I'm saying at all." She managed a nervous laugh and clutched the fiancé tighter. "I just mean...well...given the circumstances and all.."

Ethan's eyes narrowed at the statement. What the hell was Nicky implying?

"Excuse me?"

Nicky realized her gaffe and blushed. "Forget I said anything." She murmured, recovering her poise almost immediately and levelling Ethan with a polite smile. "It's good to see you again, you look well."

The words caused a sardonic smile to cross Ethan's face. How typical of Nicky to remember her manners even in an awkward situation. Even when she'd told him she wasn't ready to commit to marriage five years ago, Nicky had executed it with enough grace to make any socialite envious. Hell, he'd been the one to apologize for asking her to marry him, certain that he'd moved too fast and she simply needed more time to get comfortable in their relationship.

What a fool he'd been.

He should have realized that even though Nicky had been willing to overlook his lack of money and affluence - her family, most especially Erin, would have never accepted him.

Ethan's lips curled at the memory of the disdainful look Erin had given his battered car that night at the restaurant. She'd made it very clear that she hadn't considered him suitable boyfriend material for her precious cousin. He hadn't needed a physic to tell him Erin must have said something to Nicky that night...in fact, Nicky had been the one to tell him Erin's opinions.

"Ethan?" Nicky's voice drew him back to the present. She and her fiancé were both giving him questioning looks.

"My apologies." Ethan replied, the words abrupt. He adjusted his hold on the briefcase, careful to keep his expression neutral. "My mind was on business." He cast a glance at Ryan, to find the latter watching the exchange. From the expression on Ryan's face, Ethan could tell the guy was curious, but either he was too good mannered to prompt an introduction or he - and Ethan could bet a hundred dollars on the second opinion - was too much of a spineless wimp.

Ethan decided to up the ante. His lips twisting in a mocking grin, he shifted his gaze back to Nicky.

"I think you'd better make the introductions." The words were as mocking as his expression. "Your companion must be dying to know who I am."

Nicky flushed. Ethan raised an eyebrow at the rush of hot color. Indeed things were about to get interesting.

"Of course." Nicky's smile was so obviously forced that he was tempted to laugh at the absurdity of it all. She turned to her companion and began the introductions. "Ethan, meet Ryan, my fiancé. Ryan...this is Ethan - an old friend."

Ryan Silverton's smile was just as forced as he held out a hand to Ethan. "Pleasure to meet you Ethan." His accent was definitely upper class Boston, polite yet distant. Ethan smiled as he watched Ryan do a head to toe assessment of his person.

How interesting. Ethan's brows shot up his forehead as he directed a questioning look at Nicky. "Fiancé?" The question was asked with a tinge of mockery. "I assumed the wedding festivities would have been over and done with by now."

It was Ryan who answered, slipping an arm around Nicky's waist and drawing her to his side. "I'm afraid not, we decided to postpone the wedding until her uncle was much better."