Part 22

Chapter 14

My mind exploded into bits and pieces as her words echoed like a nightmare over and over. Pregnant? That was impossible! We hadn’t even had sex! Vampires aren’t humans, genius.

“That’s impossible.”

“He drank of you first?” She put a hand on my shoulder, her eyes glued on mine.

“Yes.”

“Then it is possible. He’s the vampire god. Why do you think drinking of each other is so personal?”

“I don’t know, because it’s intimate.”

“Why is it intimate, Iva, why? Where did that legend originate from?” She let go of my shoulder, pacing the room, glaring at me a few times.

“Claud is the only vampire on the planet who can create life in a vampire’s womb. The child inside of you is like Claud. It can also create life, because it carries his genes now.”

“Then why the hell does Claud have a werewolf brother?” I shot at her, my fingers curling into fists. My body was on fire with pain from the itch. It had reached my chest now.

“Because Claud isn’t fully dead. His family carries both genes in their DNA. He got his father and mother’s side. His brother inherited his father’s side. How do you not know the legends of Claud’s ancestors? Every vampire knows of the vampire god.” She looked at me like I was dense. I started hyperventilating, a growl of frustration escaping my lips.

“He knew!” My words came out like a beast; Claud was going to die. I was going to rip him apart. “He knew this would happen to me! This was why he suggested that, so that I’d be tied to him with a…child!” I spat the last word. I was really pregnant with Claud’s kid? Something between awe and sickness rose in my head. I’d be a mom?

“It is why so many will come for you, sweetheart, so many will want that child that is now in your womb. Once it is born, it will be sought after as much as Claud. But, some would seek to destroy the seed before it is born. They don’t want Claud’s power to spread.”

“He’s such a dick.” I was shaking now from the blood lust that was in my throat. My fangs lowered dripping venom in my mouth. Blood…blood. The thought began to roll in my head over and over on loop.

“Feed the beast in your belly, sweetheart. I can see it in your eyes.”

I burst out the front door of Sweet Bites, swearing and cursing Claud every name written under the stars of heaven. He was going to die for this—I was going to put my arms around his scrawny neck and strangle him to death. How could he make me pregnant? Why me? Why not some other vampire girl who threw themselves at his feet? It was broad daylight, and here I was running to feed on some poor human who wouldn’t see me coming. At this moment in time I didn’t give a damn. I just wanted blood and now. I grabbed a man on the way, running toward the woods on the edge of town, and drank until he was dry.

I stared at the corpse I’d created left in the dirt, and my dad’s face rose to my face. I fell to my knees and sobbed, pressing my hands against my face. I was pregnant with Claud’s baby. What was I going to do? I couldn’t kill it. I couldn’t do that to an innocent child—but now what? I had this thing in me that was part Claud?

Its part you too, Willow Butt. I felt like I heard my dad saying to me. First Claud takes out my friends, then my shop is neglected, now a kid? A fricking kid? I put my hands over my stomach. No wonder I’d been moody and irrational. I was preggo.

“I’m still going to kill that bastard,” I hissed under my breath, leaving the body of the poor guy behind me. I’d deal with my conscience later about that. Right now I was going to kick me some ancient vampire ass.