Part 15

Chapter[T1]  9

Suddenly my mind sharpened and I pulled back from him, sitting up. His pain still circled through me—it probably would for the next few weeks. Why couldn’t I just give in? It’d be so much easier than fighting him off. Dad. A soft sob rose to my throat and escaped. I wrapped my arms around myself, looking down, feeling shamed. I don’t love you, Claud. I never will. You’re everything my dad hated in a man. Obsessive, possessive, controlling. No!

“You had your fill, I’m leaving.” I swiped up my shirt, staring at his tortured face.

“Please, Iva!” He trembled on the bed, aching for me.

“This isn’t me.” I pulled my shirt over my head, touching the wound on my neck. I’d take a lot longer to heal than a mortal wound. Immortal bites could last for weeks—reminding me of this moment.

“I’ll do whatever you want!”

“Leave me the hell alone then. Move on with your immortality. I just want to be a sweet shop owner, walk my dog, and have fun with my human friends. I’m not in love with you, Claud, and I never will be. You’re everything my father hated. And I love him too much to give into your dark desires. I’m not a whore you can seduce with your charm. So, stop bothering me.” With those words, I left his mansion, still feeling the aftermath of his blood in my system. His obsession was enough to drive anyone insane—maybe he was a bit insane after all these years. He’d never have me. Never.

I lay in bed that night, thinking about the blood exchange, and the effects that were still going through me. He must have thought that would make me give in—finally. It almost had again. But, something much stronger was always inside of me—my dad’s wisdom—his laugh—his heart that always told me to follow what was right. Claud wasn’t right. He never would be. I rolled over on my side, and Kitty put her nose in my face and sniffed.

“I’m okay,” I said, though tears were already trailing down my cheeks. I was hungry too—which didn’t help my turmoil of emotions. I did have backup blood bags for such occasions as these, but I wanted warm blood. Fresh. I shouldn’t hunt when I was in this state of mind—but what choice did I have here? I needed to eat something before I turned into a blubbering mess.

“Be back soon,” I told Kitty and ran out the door, heading toward the part of the city that was easy to find wandering people. I came upon a man who was walking alone and tapped into his neck for a moment, drinking more than normal; I let my emotions get the best of me. He hit the pavement, and I swore under my breath. Claud had gotten under my skin. I looked at the human, who was barely breathing, and swore again. I healed up the wound, swept him up in my arms, and carried him home. He’d been pretty filling, so that the hunger was contained for now.

When I got to my house, I put him on the couch, watching the rise and fall of his chest. Kitty walked over and bit his arm lightly.

“No, Kitty,” I said, and she walked away. He’d lost a lot of blood, and I wondered if he’d actually make it. I fished for his wallet and saw that his name was Ben Macky, age twenty-nine, and lived a few blocks over from me. Because I didn’t know what else to do, I Googled him. He had a decent job, was single, and looked like a fun guy from what I could tell by Facebook.

“Sorry, Ben,” I mumbled. “You caught me in a crappy mood.” After another hour of doing absolutely nothing, I heard Ben cough, trying to sit up. He moaned, eyes fluttering open to look at me. He jumped, startled by my appearance.

“Who are you?”

“Umm…Iva,” I said.

“Where am I? What’s going on?” He turned his head back and forth and cringed in pain. “Why do I feel like a truck hit me?”