[Chapter 18]

"What a beautiful place! It feels as though the whole town is bobbing up and down on the waves!"

"Oh, I know what you mean, Serena! I've been wanting to visit since I read about it as a child, but, boy, does the books not do this town justice,"

Freya and Serena shared beaming smiles as they surveyed the stunning port town. It had taken a few days to get through the marshland, and the journey took even longer with the amount of monsters they had to fight along the way. However, the exhaustion that filled the party's bodies disappeared and the sight of the town rejuvenated their forms with an abundance of energy.

And what a sight the town was. People from all walks of life filled the light-colored cobblestone paths. There were vendors, similar to the ones back in Gallopolis, selling a wide variety of goods that was even more vast compared to ones in the desert city. The bright buildings matched the gorgeous and vibrant aura of the people that came through and the town even had waterways that allowed tourists to ride gondolas throughout Gondolia—something Freya knew that the party had to ride at least once before they left.

Plus, that was all without mentioning the gorgeous backdrop of the ocean. The sun hit the surface at the perfect angle, making the foamy waves sparkle and shine like the rarest jewels. It glittered so brilliantly and appeared so clear that Freya wished she could dip her feet in and splash about in the cool liquid.

"So this is Gondolia, huh? I heard there were some big scores to be had here," Erik mused, a grin lighting up his face. His words came out breathy as he eyed some of the more expensive looking goods that were on display at a nearby stall. "Rich merchants from all over the world, ships full of treasure, you name it..."

"Trust you to have a nose for treasure," Freya teased as she leaned over to bump her partner with her hip, effectively snapping the thief out of his honed in stare. Erik's delighted hues met Freya's mirth filled ones as a smirk tugged at the corner of his lips and a cheeky grin on hers.

"And this is where you're keeping your ship, Sylvando?" Veronica asked, tilting her head curiously as she glanced at the man from the corner of her peripherals. "The ship that you own? Don't tell me you're some kind of millionaire?"

"Oh, come now, Ronnie darling! You know it's not polite to pry!" The jester cooed, spinning around to look at the tiny mage. A second later, he raised an arm in the air, striking a pose while he continued on. "Alright, the docks are in the south-west of the town—last one there's a rotten egg!"

Chuckling, the party began to follow the tall man. Just as Freya was about to step forward, something stirred from her peripherals, causing her eyes to follow the movement. She let out a confused hum as her gaze immediately locked eyes onto a small boy. His small form was hiding from behind a pole, carefully watching her and her friends with a scrutinized stare. Once he saw the brunette peek in his direction, the boy let out a loud gasp before awkwardly scrambling away with flailing limbs. Needless to say, it was an odd sight.

"Are you alright, Freya?" Freya jolted as she heard her friend's voice call out to her. She turned her head back to see Erik standing a few feet away from her as the rest of the group carried on without them. The thief shifted his weight onto one leg and his thin eyebrow arched up in questioning.