[Chapter 1]

A gentle wind blew through brown locks of hair as a teen, who just turned 16 on that day, stared straight ahead. Her blue eyes drank in the sight in front of her while her lips were parted with slight awe. The skies were nearly clear, save for a few wispy clouds. The mountains were large and vast, casting shadows across the valleys. But it was the large floating tree that piqued her interest the most. The holy tree, known as Yggdrasil, seemed so serene and grand as it floated high above Erdrea. The brunette couldn't help but feel a strange connection with Yggdrasil.

Suddenly, a dog's barking broke the teenager from her spell and brought her back to the present. Blinking owlishly, she looked at her marked left hand, which still grasped onto a red cloth. She turned her head to look down, seeing her blonde friend and her trusty dog looking up at her with wide, concerned eyes. The reason for her climbing the tree she was in flooded back in her mind as she let a small chuckle escape her lips.

"I'm coming down! Take a step back!" The teen exclaimed as she gazed on the pair below. The blonde nodded and quickly ushered her canine companion to do the same. Turning around carefully on the tree branch, the brunette took a quick intake of breath and jumped, bracing herself to hit the ground. With a soft thump, she rose and extended the handkerchief towards the blonde. "'Ere you go, Gemma,"

"Thank you so much, you're a lifesaver!" The blonde happily said, gently taking the red cloth from her friend's hand. She diligently tied the handkerchief around her head and beamed at the brunette with a playful wink. "Trust me to lose my headscarf before the ceremony,"

"Maybe you ought to be more careful, Gem," The brunette teased, bending over to pat the tan dog sitting at her side. Her blue eyes shined with mirth as a smirk tugged at her lips. "Even on our big day, you can't help but be clumsy, huh,"

"Oh, hush, Freya!" Gemma yelled, rolling her eyes. The pair stared at each other for a moment before giggles erupted from them, their shoulders shaking with laughter. The laughter died down after a few moments before the two teenagers turned to look at the looming mountains behind them. "So it's finally here—the big day! I can't believe we're going to be climbing all the way up there!"

Silence fell around the pair as they stared on with some anxiety settling in the pits of their stomach. For a few beats, the two girls were lost in their own minds before their fellow canine friend let out a few roaring barks. They turned their heads, glancing at their excited pal. Smiles graced the pair's faces as Gemma leaned down with her hands on her knees. The dog panted heavily and her tail wagged with such fervour before she bolted away from them.

"Looks like Sandy is keen to lead the way," Gemma laughed. Freya looked back at the dog with a smile before nodding her head in the direction.

"Best not to keep her waiting then," Freya stated, ruffling Gemma's blonde hair before jogging towards Sandy. She let out a laugh as her best friend yelled after her. Freya heard Gemma's footsteps trail after her and the pair made their way up a few stone steps and stopped at a rickety bridge, where Freya's mother and the mayor stood. The two adults beamed as they spotted the two teenagers approaching. Dunstan gestured the two over and the teens stood before their parental guardians.

"Freya, seeing you and my dear Gemma all set out for your big day makes me proud as anything—both mayor and as a grandfather," The mayor, Dunstan, started with a bright gleam in his eyes. He gave a proud smile at Gemma, his eyes switching between the pair. "You're not kids anymore, you know—No, you're grown up now, and that means going to the Tor and offering your thanks,"