[Chapter 10]

"I beg of you...Please don't say anything when we get in the building,"

"What is that supposed to mean? Huh?! Don't think I can handle myself?"

"No, I don't. Especially since you literally fight with every adult around,"

As the words left the owner's mouth, two distinct voices grew louder. Their voices tried to overlap the other one's while they argued. Freya heaved out a lengthy, stuttering sigh as she raised a hand to massage her bridge of her nose. Connie looked up at the brunette with a concerned gaze, gently tugging on the hem of the teen's tunic. The Luminary shot the child a weak smile, assuring her that she was alright, despite the forming headache she was getting.

It was just ridiculous. They were so, so close, seeing as they were just outside of the bar. The group barely walked a few feet before tension had brewed between her partner in crime and the small blonde girl. As to who started the fight, Freya couldn't remember nor did she care. At first, it was subtle glares when the couple caught up to the kids, but it somehow ended up as this—the two bickering like children and one of them was an actual child for Yggdrasil's sake.

"Can't you two please behave for a second?" The Luminary butted in, her tone sharp as she interrupted the pair's conversation. The quarreling duo paused as their eyes drifted to the two girls. Freya forced a grin while she turned to look at the child at her side. She patted the little girl's head, ruffling her silky black locks. "We have more pressing matters at hand, don't we, Connie?"

Connie nodded, peering at the other two with wide eyes. Both Erik and Veronica winced slightly as they exchanged looks. Sagging his shoulders in defeat, Erik sent Freya an apologetic grimace to which she sighed softly at him with a tiny shake of her head. The boy frowned deeply, his heart sinking with a mixture of guilt and sadness, unaware of Veronica's regretful eyes on him. With a purse of her lips and slightly flushed cheeks, she quickly mumbled out an apology, effectively catching the thief off guard before he muttered his own sorry.

"Now that we got that settled, let's get going, shall we?" Freya hummed, feeling pleased that the two had dropped their petty squabble. Taking a step forward, she settled beside Erik as he placed his hands on the wooden door. He glanced back just in time to see Connie trot closer to the brunette and gently hold her hand. Smiling softly at the affectionate sight, Erik pushed past the wooden doors and the group entered the building.

The bar was brightly lit and bustling. There were quite a few patrons, despite it being early on in the day. The tables were mostly filled with every person holding hefty pints of alcohol as they picked off the plates of bar food. The atmosphere was relatively lively and festive, making Freya have the urge to join in on the fun.

The brunette was snapped out of her gawking daze as she noticed the same man from earlier make his way towards the four. He held a broad, welcoming grin on his face as he approached the party with menus in his grasp.

"Welcome to our inn—A safe haven in life's storm. Come and make merry!" He exclaimed loudly, doing his best to speak over some already inebriated patrons. His eyes skimmed over the group before his eyes landed on Veronica, who hastily ducked behind Erik as soon as their eyes met each other. The waiter frowned deeply as he narrowed his dark eyes. "Warnings unheeded—The fish returns to the tree. What can deter her?"