Chapter 3- Sky Battle (Ava)

“Hold out your other hand!” I called out.

Slowly, Hermione reached her other hand, shaking and sweaty, and grabbed onto my free one. As quickly as I could, I pulled her up with both arms. Kingsley grabbed onto her waist to steady her as she scrambled up back onto the Thestral’s back.

Hermione collapsed against me, and as I finally let go of her hands I heard her trying to steady her panicked breaths.

“Thank… you…” She panted as she grabbed her wand from her pocket.

Removing my wand from my between teeth, I turned to look at how many Death Eaters were following us.

I froze.

It was as if a nightmare had come true when I turned to see Fenrir Greyback behind me, a sneer on his face. My thoughts flickered to that night on top of the Astronomy Tower, and my grip on my wand tightened in fear.

“Ah yes…” Fenrir raised his eyebrows, “Recognise me?”

When I didn’t say anything, he laughed, “Still considering my offer? We know you’ll be perfect for the job.”

My heart was thumping in my chest as I stuttered, “N-no. Your offers do not interest me, Fenrir.”

“You sound like you’re lying to yourself. Perhaps you need to reconsider.”

Then, with a flash of his yellow teeth, Fenrir raised his wand and shouted, “Stupefy!” just as Kingsley called out his own jinx to knock Fenrir back.

Fenrir’s jinx hit me before I could react, and my eyes fluttered shut as my body slumped forwards against Hermione’s.

*                    *                    *

The sensation of my belly button being tugged towards something, as if by a hook, was the first thing that I felt when my eyes opened.

A pair of arms was carrying me, and as my eyes focused I realised that Kingsley was holding onto me, whilst Hermione was next to him. They were both clutching onto a bent coat hanger, and as I turned my head and noticed that we were in the garden of the Burrow, I realised that we had just travelled by Portkey.

“Ava!” I recognised Remus’ voice as he ran out of the Burrow as quickly as he could.

Before Remus could get any closer, Kingsley turned to him, “The last words that Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?”

“‘Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.’” Remus replied.

Kingsley then quickly explained, “Ava was unconscious- Fenrir Greyback stunned her.”