20: Chips in the Cup, in the Stone of an Idol

Start from the beginning

Undoubtedly the worst part about Ravitavah showing up in Silus' apartment today was that he freed the hostage and was now serving him tea and making him laugh.

Silus couldn't come up with words harsh enough to yell, so instead he glared at them and remained silent, hoping that Ravitavah could feel the wave of hatred from across the room.

"There he is," Ravitavah gestured at Silus with the teapot, large drops of tea slopping out onto his sweater, "welcome home, Silus. How was your work today?"

He looked at Ravitavah. Then he looked at Jude. Jude became hesitant about sipping from his cup, but he did it anyway and it made Silus wince his eyes shut.

"That's a hostage, Ravitavah. You can't just free hostages and give them tea," he seethed with his eyes still closed. He wished for Jude to be tied back up in the other room when he opened his eyes.

"Oh. My mistake."

His eyes popped open and a vein in his neck almost popped open too. Storming into the half-dining room, Silus fumed, "now is not the time to try and be funny with me."

"This one looks just like one of yours," Ravitavah chuckled, glancing at his snake swirl and showing it to Silus like he had never seen the pastries he bought before.

"That's one Kit made," Jude added in a quiet voice that sounded hopeful of the casual atmosphere.

Silus whirled on him and when he planted his hands on the table, Jude's saucer leapt up and danced, "yes, I know. Because I bought these from her and they're stale now."

"It's... stale...?" Ravitavah's gaze dropped and he moped as he chewed the bits already in his mouth.

"Yes, it's stale! It's been days since I got them!" Silus tore the bun out of the Ace's hand and hurled it at the kitchen wall.

"Please calm down. We have a guest."

Silus sucked in a breath and his magic crackled around him, called upon by the pure pounding rage in his body and then he screamed, "he's a hostage!"

"I'm not here to bother the two of you," Ravitavah assured him, cramming the last of the roll in his mouth, "I'm only here to tell you that you'll need Victor's old sculptor to put your first heart back in after you get it from the Place Where Important Things Go."

"You can't say things like that in front of the hostage," Silus groaned. Ravitavah's unshakable bumbling and brash nature exhausted him. He had to give up the rage for the sake of his stamina.

"Ah, that's why you turned on her," Jude noted in that gruff, but still shy voice. It was more of a muttering to himself that was intended to be overheard than a direct response.

"There was no turning," Silus insisted, coming to take a seat at the table. He didn't want to seem amiable to the muse or to Ravitavah but if he had known he would need to be frustrated at home, he wouldn't have used up all his anger on Lovell.

"Kit told me that she thought you took a shine to her," a bright shimmering rainbow cast over the muse's easy expression and disappeared by seeping into his wrinkles. He sipped his tea. Silus was glad at least that his presence made Jude's good hand tremble as he brought the cup to his lips. "She was confused when you threatened her that day."

"I didn't..." Silus growled under his breath. What was the point defending himself? Jude would think what he wanted and say what he wanted to try and manipulate Silus to set him free.

"It makes sense now is what I'm saying," Jude ventured in his full voice, "you do like her, but not enough to sacrifice the chance to get your first heart."

Silus slid his hands between his snakes and they caressed his fingers to comfort him. With resignation, he said, "you know why I'm doing it, but doesn't change anything."

"Maybe it will," Jude supposed with a shrug and even though Silus glared at him, with Ravitavah watching over him, he still said, "if Kit were offered the same deal -to hunt you for what she lost- she would take it too."

He dropped his hands with lips parted, slack with confusion, "what's that supposed to mean?"

"It means I think you'll realize a lost heart is not worth killing for."

"You don't know anything, muse," Silus hissed.

"That may be the case, but I do have some information for you, Silus. I'm doing this because we're so close, okay?" Ravitavah stated, giving Silus a pat on the shoulder.

"Just tell me," Silus begged.

"My brother mentioned something about a mute Bell Spirit staying with him in the Hollow Realm."