Chapter 7.11

Heather and Ben were still on the balcony and Heather was still talking. She stopped when Selena slid open the screen door.

"John says you've agreed to let us bring up some of the treasure," Selena said.

"Yes." Heather sighed. "He and Ben have convinced me it's the most sensible thing to do." She sighed again then gave Selena an under-browned glance. "I guess you think I'm a real swindler, hanging on to that stuff, taking it piece by piece and hawking it round fences I know in the States trying to get a good price for it."

"I certainly think it hasn't been very honest if you," said Selena rather stiffly.

"Mm. I thought you might," said Heather drily. "But, then, you don't know what it's like to be up to your ears in debt and to have all that stuff just a dive away from you. It was a temptation I couldn't resist. Have you ever been tempted and not able to resist, Selena?"

There was a double meaning in the question that Selena wasn't blind to. Heather was implying that she had faced temptation recently in the form of Keith and had not been able to resist.

"I suppose I have," she murmured.

"Anyway," Heather swept on. "I'm hoping that what you think of me won't stop you from continuing to dive to help bring up the artefacts. Ben insists that you have to do it while he's incapacitated. He says you will know what to bring up. You'll recognize the pieces of historical significance that John and the others won't."

"You will, won't you, Selena?" said Ben.

She glanced at hi. He knew she couldn't refuse because she was his paid assistant. Only if she resigned her position here and now could she refuse. And there was still the matter of whether they were going to be married or not to clear up. Meanwhile, Keith was going further and further away from her.

"Please, Selena," said Heather softly, standing up and putting an arm around her waist. "It is your idea. And it's what you came out here to do, to discover the treasure of Santiago. Just think of what a feather in your cap it will be when you come up with some of those artefacts."

Selena looked from Heather's bland and shining face to Ben's taut, lined one. She had a choice to make. She could say no. 'It's up to you, Selena. You have to make a choice. It's either Hunt or me.' Keith's parring remarks mocked her. It looked very much at the moment as if it was going to be Ben, she thought miserably. Better the bird in the hand than two in the bush, she mocked herself.

And then suddenly some strange spirit of independence rose up within her. Why should she do as Ben asked? Why shouldn't she please herself and leave, go after Keith and show him that she wasn't committed any more—that she was as free as air, free to go with him if he wanted her?

*A/N: Please my patron in Patreon and read chapters in advance. My other works are also available there. Or if you just want to support me. Please look for creator Zetar086.
Love lots ♥️