Chapter 4.1

Leaving the gully between the coral outgrowths where she had been searching all morning, hanging weightless above golden sand and probing delicately in it, hoping to come across some small or large artefact or more time-encrusted timbers, Selena slowly began her ascent. Above her, the surface of the sea graced and rippled like molten silver and shoals of fish shimmered past her as she drifted upwards with the help of her buoyancy compensator which she had filled with air to counteract the lead weights at her waist, passing between overhanging cliffs of coral where gorgonians, graceful fans of hardened polyps, flourished like tiny petrified trees.

   It was the third day of diving and although she had found no artefacts at the supposed site of the wreck of the Santiago, she had taken pleasure as always, in the life beneath the surface of the sea. It was so wonderful to dive again in warm, clear water and to renew her acquaintance with the fish and underwater growths with which she had become familiar during her cruise among the Caribbean islands with Keith. As then, she was now amazed by the brilliant colours of the marine fantasy world, the orange cup corals, the yellow tube sponges, the glowing purples, blues and scarlets of fish.

   She broke surface close to the Sea Lion and after taking off her flippers and handing them to Gary who had surfaced before her, she climbed up the ladder on to the afterdeck and he helped her to remove the scuba tank from her back. Beyond him, she could see Ben in serious conversation with Keith. Beneath her feet, the deck lurched as the ship rolled on a heavy surge that was washing into the cove and she realized that while they had been diving, a strong wind had gusted up, blowing right into the cove and making the anchorage uncomfortable.

   "Well? Any luck?" Ben, still in his tropical diving suit, a rubberized, long-sleeved one-piece That left his legs bare, turned towards her. His tousled hair was still soaking wet, dripping water down his cheeks and he was frowning. She recognized the expression of disappointment on his face.

   "Nothing," she said, shaking her head and unbuckling the weight belt from her hips, her glance going stealthily to Keith. Straight and tall, he curling hair glowing in the bright sunlight, he was immaculate in white shirt and khaki shorts and, as always, when she saw him, she felt the flame of naked desire uncurl within her. She looked quickly away from him at Ben and the flame flickered uneasily and died down. There was nothing in Ben's appearance to arouse her desire. "Nothing," she repeated.

   The expression of disappointment and frustration on Ben's face increased. He looked suddenly old and careworn, and sympathy blossomed in Selena.

   "But maybe we'll have some luck this afternoon," she sad, linking an arm through his.

   "We won't be diving this afternoon ," he said tersely. "Can't you see the surge that's running? It isn't safe for the dive-ship to be anchored here. Walker is getting out of here as soon as he can weigh anchor."

   She realized then that Keith had gone up to the wheelhouse and that Gary and Max had both gone forward to winch in the anchor. The engines throbbed, the anchor came up and Sea Lion lunged forward into the crested, green waves, away from the sun-sparkled cove and its dangerous, ship-wrecking reefs.