The White Chrysanthemum

𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝗳𝗲𝗲𝗹𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁

I'LL NEVER GET used to how much a corset hurts to be tightened. I, you see, am being prepared by my hand maiden to meet my fiancé. The one I will being ruling my kingdom with, sharing a bed with, hosting events with and, quite frankly, spending the rest of my life with.

It is my responsibility as Princess of Averly.

My dress was the colour of a pink rose. It was one of my favourite colours, most of the dresses in my closet were this colour as well. Other colours were blues and greens and whites. I only have one black dress, of which I wore to my mothers funeral long ago.

"Ouch!" I screamed as my hand maiden, Lana, pulled one last time and tied the knot.

"Apologies, your majesty," she said, completing the bow as the final dress was placed over my head. The skirt fell loosely over my legs, and the puffs on the sleeve held perfectly as I walked. Lana walked out of the dressing room, but not before telling me that my father was expecting me in the throne room in five minutes.

I read once that your body does not know the difference between nervousness and excitement. Right now, not even I know the difference.

My father, the kind, met my mother the same way. He wrote a letter to her father asking for his daughters hand in marriage, they met and lived happily ever after. That is, until, she passed. My father is a kind man and from what I remember so was my mother. But he hasn't been the same since her death. He feels the need to be more powerful and commanding now that she is gone. I'll miss the old him.

~~~~~~

I walked into the courtroom, my back straight and a faint smile on my face. The walls, as always, had gorgeous floral and patterned paintings with hints of gold. And the floors white tiles were shined to precision. I am almost tempted to dive onto the floor and see how far I will slide. But that is not appropriate in the presence of the King.

I approached my fathers thrown. To the right, was the King and Prince of Anais.

"And this is my daughter, Y/n." My father introduced as I bowed my head.

"Pleasure to meet you both," I smiled lightly. The Prince, I'll admit, was rather handsome. He had long curly brown hair and the most beautiful chocolate eyes. He was skinny, but I assumed him to be strong.

"Prince Timothèe," he said, reaching for my hand and kissing it lightly. His father, who I knew to be King Hugo did the same.

"And she's even more beautiful in person," King Hugo complimented. I smiled at the comment. "Ah, yes she will make a fine Queen," the King stared deeply, almost threateningly into my eyes. "Don't you agree, son?"

"Of course, father," Timothèe agreed. He didn't look much like his father. His features were sharper and he was slightly taller. The kings face had fallen and aged more. It had seen more days of battle and hardship.

"I'm sure Timothèe will make a fine King as well, Hugo. Especially with Y/n at his side." My father smiled bashfully. Me and Timothèe's eyes met. I wonder how he felt about the marriage. "This is going to be a very busy month, you know. Seeing as you two are going to be married by the 31st."

"Excuse me?" Timothèe and I said. We were shocked. I knew we'd be married eventually, but within the month? It's too soon. I don't even know this man. I've only just learned his name. "Did I forget to mention that?" The king asked himself. "No matter," he shoved it off. "Our guests will be staying in the east end's spare quarters until the wedding. And, of course, once you are both married you will share."

"Thank you so much, Daniel," Hugo thanked. "We will be getting to our rooms now. Much to unpack."

Timothèe bowed his head to me before following his father. He hasn't said much, but to be honest neither had I.

As soon as the doors leaving the throne room closed, I turned towards my father. "Within the month, father?" I was outraged.

"Y/n, I will hear nothing of this. It is what is best for your kingdom."

"I understand that father but-"

"Enough!" He shouted. "You will do this because it is right. This is what your mother would've wanted. I don't want anymore complaints out of you, it's giving me a headache."

"Father, please. Just give me more time to get to know-"

A loud, sharp noise echoed through the room. And a stinging pain was felt on my cheek. My father had struck me. "You are dismissed,"

~~~~~~

Today, I wore a green dress. It had a large bow at the back and a pretty lace collar. Today, me and my fiancé as well as our fathers stood on the balcony overlooking the kingdom and subjects below. They all cheered at the sight of me and the Prince.

"One day ago, we had the pleasure of welcoming the Charming Prince, Timothee and the Gracious King, Hugo,  of Anais to our humble kingdom. And now, I am so very proud to announce that Averly and Anais will be uniting through the marriage of our children. Princess Y/n and Prince Timothee. The wedding will be within the month, and all invitees will be announced by the week's end." My father announced, allowing the crowd to cheer once more. "This wedding will be a great honour to attend. It will symbolize the unity of two kingdoms that were at war for many years. As we join together, we will become stronger and braver. We will have power." The subjects cheered louder than ever. Each one of them hoping to get an invitation at their letter boxes.

Timothèe and I stepped forward as we bowed our heads. We joined arms and walked back into the warmth of the castle. I was smaller than Timothèe, but only by a small bit. As soon as we were out of view of the crowd, we split without another word.

~~~~~~

Timothèe had spent time together over the pervious week. On this day, the invitations had been sent out far and wide. And the Prince and I were walking through my garden. His hands were behind his back, as they often were when he walked. Maybe he thought it made him look taller, with his chest puffed and his back straightened. My hands were joined in front of me as I looked anywhere but at him.

Right now, I would much rather be reading in my room. My father had suggested, more inforced, this little get together.

"If we are to be married, we really should try to get to know each other." He finally spoke, his head tilting to me, yet his eyes never met mine. I stayed silent. A Prince should be able to make eye contact with a woman when he speaks to her.

I looked over when I felt his height shrink. He had bent down and picked a white chrysanthemum from its bed.

"That's theft," I said simply as he stood back, attempting to give me the flower.

"I picked a flower," he scoffed.

"From my garden." I defended. "Without permission."

"You do know this garden will also be mine soon." He smirked. "And I'll be able to pick as many flowers as I want."

"Cockiness is a poor way to charm a Princess, you know?" I said, storming off. This garden was my mothers. I'll be doomed if he touches one more petal.

"Was it something I said?" I heard him call. I did not give him the time of day.

~~~~~~

I have been wanting to post this for so long. I've been trying to work on my other stories but I really just need a break and while I have that on hold I will be posting this! Hope you enjoy. There is much more to come!

-Leigh