Chapter 23: Wedding Ceremony From Hell

Electra's POV:
The wedding was here before we knew it, and here I was, standing rigid in Cinna's design studio as he prepares me for the worst night of my life.

The tears cloud my vision as I stare at myself in the mirror. "I can't believe I'm actually doing this," I mutter.

Cinna sighs heavily as he finishes lacing up my corset. "You said it yourself, you have no other choice.."

"I just wish there was another way," I whisper. "You're the only one I wanna be with. It's always been you."

I try to hide the tears as he flips the veil over my face. He sighs heavily. "Please don't cry, my love.. everything will turn out alright in the end."

"I just feel like I'm betraying you.." I mutter.

"You're not," he says softly. "I know you're only doing this because you have no other choice. And believe me, once we take Snow down and overthrow the Capitol, you and I will have the honest to goodness wedding you've been dreaming of."

"I love you," I whisper, kissing him softly.

"I love you too.. but we have to be careful. Don't want word getting back to your groom that you've been unfaithful," he laughs, giving me one last hug before the attendants came to prepare me for the ceremony.

"Good luck," he whispers. I nod.

The Capitol has been decorated in the most extravagant wedding decor, rose petals covering the marble flooring. It makes me sick.

Snow stands at the end of the altar, smirking lightly as I make my way towards him. His eyes are cold and dark, almost intimidating as he reaches for my hand. "At long last.." he whispers. "You're mine."

His cold tone of voice sends a shiver down my spine as I reluctantly take his hand, letting him lead me to the altar. I willingly let him lead me to my death.

"We are gathered here to witness the union of our esteemed President and his beautiful bride to be. May we wish them all the happiness in the world, and that their love be a symbol for us all," the priest says coldly. Snow smirks lightly, squeezing my hand.

I still can't believe this is actually happening. I keep wishing that it's all just a bad dream, a terrible nightmare. But it isn't.. it's real. This is my life now.

My father watches on, a rather disgusted look on his face. I can't believe he actually agreed to this.. why couldn't he have just left me to die in the arena? Surely that would've been so much better than this.

But the ceremony drags on nevertheless, each moment making my heart beat faster as I'm drawn closer to my doom. This terrible nightmare that would never end. I was trapped in a loveless marriage, with no way out in sight.

"Do you, President Snow, take Electra Abernathy to be your lawfully wedded wife? May you stay true to her in sickness and in health, and keep thee only unto her, so long as you both shall live?" the priest asks.

Snow nods curtly, a wicked smirk on his face as he squeezes my hand. "I do."

The priest then nods, turning his attention to me. "Electra Abernathy, do you take President Snow to be your lawfully wedded husband? May you stay true to him in sickness and in health, and keep thee only unto him, so long as you both shall live?"

I swallow hard, my eyes drifting over to the crowd of people.. all waiting for me to take my vow to be bound to Snow until death. I take a deep breath, squeezing my eyes shut as I finally gain the courage to speak up.

"I do."