Chapter 10: Watch it Burn

Electra's POV:
I'm jolted awake the next morning by the blazing inferno that spreads violently across the arena.

My first instinct is to run, but then I remember that I'm still belted into the tree.

Terrified, I unclip the belt and let myself fall to the ground. With a thud, I rise to my feet and break into an exasperated run.

My axe is clutched tightly in my hand as I run, trying desperately to escape the flames. But running is hopeless, as everywhere I turn, the fire spreads.

It's only a matter of time before I lose my balance, falling helplessly to my knees as the raging inferno approaches me.

My lower body is soon engulfed in flames, and my cries of agony and pain fall on deaf ears.

Or so I thought...

Cinna's POV:
I watch in horror as fire spreads throughout the arena, swallowing up everything into a raging blur of flames and smoke.

The tributes struggle to escape, screaming out for help. But there's one scream that catches my attention above all others. Electra Abernathy.

I see her on the screen as she runs from the fire, flailing hopelessly as the area around her is engulfed in angry red flames.

The Gamakers sit unfazed as they control the fire, forcing it to spread throughout the entire arena.

Anger courses through my veins as I watch helplessly, listening to the drunken shouting of Electra's father. "Get her out of there goddamn it! She doesn't deserve this!"

But his cries of desperation fall on deaf ears, as everyone knows the only way a tribute can escape the cruelties of the arena is either through death or ultimate survival.

I know what they're doing. The Gamakers started the fire in an effort to draw Electra away from the edge of the arena and lure her to the lake, where the careers will undoubtably be waiting to kill her.

This realization only orchestrates my anger further, and I can barely control myself as they begin launching fireballs directly at her.

"No! Stop this!" I shouted. "She's only a girl!"

I watch in horror as Electra falls to her knees, giving the Gamemakers easy access to target her.

She can't move however, as she has suffered a severe burn on her leg, and smaller, less severe burns on both her hands.

"Yes!" exclaims President Snow. "Watch it burn!"

His comment drives me over the edge, for the next thing I know, an army of Peacekeepers are dragging me away as I attempt to claw his eyes out.

"What have you done to her, Snow?" I asked angrily. "Is this what you want, to watch her die a slow and painful death? Or are you doing this to torture me?"

In the wake of the moment, I don't even realize my mistake. All I know is that I'll be fighting like hell to keep her alive.

I'm finally able to convince her father to send her first sponsor gift, a small tube of burn ointment.

"Cinna, what are you doing?" Portia asks. "You know stylists aren't supposed to interfere with the flow of gifts from sponsors!"

I sighed heavily. I know she's right, but I don't care.

"Portia, this is the only way that I can keep her alive! She has to stay alive!" I yell.

Although I don't quite understand why I'm suddenly fighting so hard to keep a tribute I barely know alive.

It doesn't matter. I don't need to know her. I just know that I love her.