Chapter 21: Master Plan

Electra's POV:
Just days after the Toasting, I'm on my way to Cinna's design studio. He insisted on designing my wedding dress, and of course, loving his designs as much as I did, I couldn't very well refuse.

But I stop dead in my tracks when I pass my father's chambers, the door ajar as I overhear what seems to be a very private conversation between him and the President.

"We had a deal, Abernathy. You said you'd do anything to spare your daughter's life in the Games," the President whispers. "I've held up my end of the bargain.. now it's time to hold up your own."

They had a deal? What was he talking about?

I lean my head even closer to the door in an effort to listen to the rest of their conversation. I had to know what was going on.

"But sir, I'm afraid my daughter is already engaged," my father says.

"Ah, yes.. the humble stylist. I remember him well," the President sneers. "Well, then I'm afraid you'll just have to find a way to stop the wedding. Your precious daughter is mine, Abernathy. Mine."

My eyes widen in pure shock. No, it can't be.

"She'll never accept your proposal, Snow. She's much smarter then that."

"Well that's hardly a convincing argument, you see.. because I won't take no for an answer. It just so happens that I have an offer she can't very well refuse, not if it would save the life of her precious fiancé." The President's words are cold, and I know he's serious.

It appears I have no choice, if I want to save Cinna's life, then I must accept Snow's hand in marriage.

The very thought makes me shudder with disgust as I run to Cinna's studio. "It's awful darling! I have awful news," I whisper.

He notices the tears in my eyes as he pulls me close. "What is it love? What's happened?"

"I have to marry Snow," I mutter. "Apparently my father made a deal with him in order to spare my life in the Games, and I now belong to him."

"What? When did you hear this?" he asks, leading me to sit on the sofa as he encourages me to relax. But knowing what I know now, I can't relax.

"Just now, when I was on my way down here. I passed by my father's chambers and overheard their whole conversation," I say.

He shakes his head. "But how can this be? Your father knows we're engaged.. how could he do this? Doesn't he know you'd never accept the President's proposal?"

I sigh heavily. "It appears the President won't take no for an answer," I mutter. "I have no choice."

"No. I won't let you! There has to be a way to get you out of this," he says confidently.

But I just shake my head. "There isn't. I have to do this.. that is, if I want to keep you alive."

Cinna's eyes widen. "What?" he asks nervously.

I sigh heavily, nodding slowly. "The President's threatening to kill you unless I accept his hand in marriage. I really have no choice, Cinna. This is the only way to save your life."

"No. Electra, listen to me. You can't do this, okay? I won't let you!"

"Cinna, I have to do this. I love and care about you too much to watch you die, at least not when I know I can save you," I whisper. "Besides, I have a plan."

He leans forward, nodding slowly. "You do?" he asks.

I nod slowly. "First, I accept the President's proposal on national television.. make the whole nation think I've always been in love with him. I gain his trust, and once we go through with the wedding and I become Mrs. Snow, I'll rise to power. I'll gain his trust, and then together, we overthrow the government and destroy the Capitol from the inside."

A small smirk crosses Cinna's face and he nods. "Oh darling, that's absolutely despicable.. I love it!"