"You should probably grab her some food. If she's anything like Arya, she'll forget to eat." Ace and Alaric have to drag her out of there most of the time.

I have finally noticed the dynamic of the A pack. Alaric is their leader; he is the calculating orderly planner.
Ace is better with other people. It is impossible not to like him; he is the heart of the group. He also takes it upon himself to take care of them all.
Arya is the brains. She is wicked smart and is very knowledgeable on various subject matter.
Aedion is the only one I am not quite sure of. He is the quiet stoic character. And I have a feeling he is their trump card.

"It's okay. I wanted to spend today with you, anyway." I am touched by his thoughtfulness. Val is one in a million.

"It's okay. I don't feel bad or neglected. I understand that newly mates need time together. Go enjoy your ice-cream." I tell him.

"What will you do?" I can see the guilt in his eyes. Totally unnecessary.

"Marci said she would show me how to make her lobster thermidor today and Arya is giving me a crash course on lycan culture when they get back." I'm good.

"Alright. I, at least, have to deliver you to Alaric first." I roll my eyes, but do not protest. Ever since the attack, someone always has to be with me. Either Valdus, or one of the A pack.

It turns out Wilhema, the werewolf who chased me, was bitten a few nights ago. He sent her to grab me. None of us had considered he would do that. It might even be how he captured Rasheeda from the palace.
After finding out his tactics, they upped the security measures.

"Where is he anyway?"

"Training out back." He made a point to tell me where to find him.

If there is one thing Alaric is obsessed with, it is training. He spends every spare second either working out or sparring.
Another huge difference between us. Do not get me wrong, exercise and self-defense are very important. They're just not my idea of leisurely activities.
If they were not necessary for survival, I would never so much as run.

"He must be embarrassed that Princess Renho kicked his ass." Val smirks.

Ah, that.

"She is a little scary. I would not want to get on her bad side." He continues.

"I could take her." He laughs the entire way out of the manor with me scowling beside him.

I could!

¤¤¤

"Why do you enjoy cooking so much?" Alaric asks me after Marco and Marci finally chase me out of the kitchen. They were too anxious with the dark prince lurking in their space and kept making mistakes. Marci even cut her finger.

"I'm not quite sure. Why do you like training so much?" We just like what we like.

"Training is a great way to strengthen your body, improve stamina, increase agility and perfect fighting technique. All of which are determining factors in a fight." He answers frankly.

"How often do you get in fights?" He makes it sound like it is all he does.

"Not as often. However, most fights I find myself in are to the death. I have to win." To the death?

"Why?" Who still fights to the death?

"I do not wish to die."

"I mean why do you fight to the death?" I clarify.

"Because the people I fight would kill me and those I care about if they could." Something in his voice informs me that this conversation is over.

I still have many questions, but I am starting to get the hang of conversing with Alaric.

"Why do you enjoy cooking?" He asks again.

This time, I feel compelled to answer him.

"I used to spend hours cooking with my father. He was not the strongest; my mother was more a fighter, but damn could he cook. He used to tell me that his favourite part of cooking was the smile on all of our faces when we ate. It was his way of taking care of us. As I got older, it became my way of taking care of them too."

"But they're dead now. Why do you still cook?" I shake my head with a small smile.
And I thought I was blunt.

"My parents are dead. My brother is still out there. I'll be cooking for him some day. It is also the least I can do for Valdus considering how much he has always done for me. It ended up becoming a way to earn a living too, so I am always looking to improve and learn more." I realise how lame it sounds now. How does cooking measure up to someone who risks his life for those he cares about?

"Your brother is very lucky to have a sister like you."

I cannot help but huff, "he isn't."

"My sister could not care less about my existence, you endanger your life seeking him." His voice is even, but his words say it all. His strained relationship with his siblings hurts him.

"Why did you kidnap Renho?" If he cares about his relationship with his siblings, why would he do that?
"So Braeden reneges the crown."

If nothing else, the man is honest.

"Is being king really worth it?" I could not imagine damaging my relationship with Kai for anything.

"Yes. I have to be king." I sigh disappointedly.
What did I expect?

"Power is as much a curse as it is a blessing." I warn him. Maybe one day he will understand.

--------------------------------------------
Thoughts?