Prologue

Exhaling a soft sigh through my nose, I hand the cashier the money I am required to pay with my requested hot drink in my free hand. Without a twitch of a muscle in my face, I turn on my heel and make a beeline to the entrance of the café hurriedly; the hairs on my neck raising as I could still feel the stare of the employee on my back. I bumped the door open with my free shoulder, not caring for the oomph I hear on the other side and quickly dodge whoever was walking in. Taking a sip of my beverage, I walk to where I had agreed to meet a dear friend of mine.

I slowly start to drop my shoulders from their hunched position as I got farther away from the shop, allowing my eyes to wander. I caught a quick glimpse of my pale lilac hair flying slightly at my pace through the glass of a passing shop, but averted my eyes as quickly as I saw it. I lifted my black manicured hand and tilted my wide brimmed black hat down over my eyes, catching the sight of my friend with a small grin on my lips.

I hastened my pace, not caring for the cars as I crossed the street. I could see how exasperated they seemed to be with me; judging from their crossed arms, tapping foot and raised refined eyebrow. Once I reached their side, I was on the receiving end of a slap to the nape of my neck. "Nyx, I don't care if you're a ghost, but you need to look for cars!" They scolded me, their nose scrunched and almond coloured eyes narrowed. I lifted my hands in surrender, my shoulders shaking slightly as a large grin stretched my mouth. "I apologize, Your Highness. It's a force of habit." I retorted, lowering my hands as they exhaled dramatically. "What have I told you about calling me Your Highness? Just call me Arson already for Lucifer's sake!" They groaned, crossing their arms once more as I finally let a snicker escape from my pale lips.

"Once again; Arson, Your Highness, it's a force of habit." I scrunched my nose from the pain that came from yet another slap to the nape. "I honestly don't like you, Nyx." I snicker once more before wrapping my free arm around their broad shoulders. "No, you love me." I chirped, taking another sip of the hot beverage. "Is that my Macchiato? Oi, Nyx!" I cackled as I quickly detached myself and sprinted to a tree to escape from the royal's painful slaps.