As Jack nodded, pleased with the answer his father had given him, Hotch turned to you with a stern expression. It took a minute for him to speak, categorizing the words to not sound overbearing. After all you were just staying with him, he didn't have an obligation to tell you what to do when it came to your well-being. Perhaps morally he did.

"You might like the air, the fair has seating and we won't stay for long," he explained in a whisper. You studied him as he flipped the toast, "Jack is content with a stuffed animal."

"Why can't you take him?" You asked almost stubbornly. You wanted to leave the house but also didn't. The sense of fear was still crawling your skin and the cool temperature outside wasn't cool enough for your complete liking.

"I can't leave you here alone, it's protocol."

There wasn't much to think over about that statement. You had studied the protocols numerous times for work. Staying at his house willingly doesn't go against anything. Hotch was committed to protecting everyone and you didn't like the way it felt.

Sure, it's fine for a little while but after being with Axel for so long, you got a taste of freedom- recollection- of the past.

"I'll be fine here alone. You have knives and things to keep me protected. My ribs are still practically shattered." You protested, motioning around the kitchen to objects of protection.

A bowl, knife, hot pan, even the tea kettle. Plus you could hold your own. Shooting a gun wasn't on your, I-Can-Do-This list but it would be soon. His worries are unwanted.

"Doctor said you needed sunlight," Hotch shit back angrily, "I'm not leaving you here alone, end of story. There is too much on the loose and I can't afford something happening to you."

You scoffed, "I thought it was my choice!"

He set the completed piece of toast into which he plated and continued into the next. His voice was softer now, "It is but it will be good for the both of us. I get to make sure nothing happens and you can just enjoy yourself for once. When was the last time you enjoyed an outing, truly enjoyed it?"

"I-I don't know, Halloween maybe?"

It wasn't the best answer considering the events that took place but it was the only thing you would think of. You were on edge that night but you got a look inside of his brain, the thoughts Hotch has as a unit chief. True pressure is what he doesn't need to impersonate because it is already a bit too prominent.

Hotch never answered.

• • •

Turning up at the state fair wasn't a surprise. Neither was the small child scarfing down cotton candy that Jack insisted he needed the moment you stepped foot onto the grounds. The atmosphere was buzzing with laughter and chatter amongst families. You wrapped your arms around yourself despite not being cold and glancing around you.

Different color rides we're hosting children screaming in laughter while their parents took videos. For a long time kids were on your mind but now you don't know if you could really stand having your own, let alone protect a child.

Hotch was standing next to you, jeans and a soft gray t-shirt with his hair roaming free from the gel cage it's usually in. His tense muscles showed he was on edge. You knew that he wanted you out of the house simply because he could be your personal bodyguard. Saying you were having fun was being a bit dramatic. Sun was shining right down on you and toasting your skin like a human turkey.

"This one next!" Jack insisted, tugging on his dad's shirt towards the ferris wheel.

Hotch nodded slowly, obviously hesitant about going on the large ride. "Why don't we wait buddy?"