Chapter 2

The day has come. Antonio's celebration.

Camilo begins making his rounds in an attempt to bring his mother some sense of peace. She was already stressed enough as it is. The sound of thunder was woke Camilo up after all.

He began helping with decorating as more and more people arrived to help. Of course he was excited for his little brother's celebration, but an echoing thought in the back of his head thought of the girl from a few days before.

"From the way the Delgado's described it, it sounds like she'll be here tonight. I'll try to take the chance to introduce myself. Hopefully she doesn't just tear me down and ignore me." He talked to himself while walking around looking for someone to help.

He looked up and around and made eye contact with his sister from across the room.

He stared at her and she stared back. "Don't do anything to embarrass me.." he whispered.

She made a *hmp* sound and walked away acting like she didn't hear anything.

"Dolores don't even try to act like you can't hear me. You of all people can't use that as an excuse." Camilo rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Time seem to pass quickly as the day progressed. It was already almost time for Antonio's ceremony, and Camilo along with his siblings and parents gathered in a room once more to wish Antonio good luck. Camilo tried to ease Antonio's nerves by mocking their dad. It was an attempt to make him laugh.

When Dolores said that it was time, Camilo and her went to the main room to watch with the crowd while their parents waited by his little brother's door.

Camilo watched as Antonio walked along with his cousin, Mirabel. Seeing Mirabel walk along that same path as she did 10 years ago made him ache in a way. Long ago he believed he was the reason she didn't have a door, that he took the rest of the power. But as much as he wanted to apologize, Mirabel never let him, saying that it wasn't his fault.

As Abuela said the last words and Antonio accepted the responsibilities of his gift, Antonio went to the doorknob. Everyone watched in desperation, hoping it would work.

Camilo seemed to be the most tense. This would really be the test to see if he took the power or not. If he could be to blame.

Dolores seemed to notice her brother becoming more and more tense, reaching out to hold his hand. She squeezed it to get his attention, giving him a 'it will be okay' look. She remembered how he felt at Mirabel's ceremony. That memory never left her head as this ceremony went on.

They all watched intensely, not even wanting to blink.

And then, it happened.

The door began to glow, with a light that grew brighter and brighter. And then a bird flew to Antonio, sitting on his arm.

He looked like he was talking to the bird, and Dolores confirmed.

"He says he can understand it." She whispered to her brother.

Just then, a bunch of animals started coming into the house, running up the stairs towards Antonio. The door finished glowing, creating the final image of Antonio surrounded by animals on its front.

"We have a new gift!" Abuela announced. Everyone cheered and a wave of relief came over Camilo. His sister gave his hand one last squeeze before covering her ears as the fireworks started going off.

Casita opened the door and Antonio was taken it, being followed by the rest of the animals.

Everyone soon followed in as well, watching the room finish create itself.