𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎 | 𝐔𝐍𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍

I SOON REALIZED Annabeth's heart was not in the tour

I SOON REALIZED Annabeth's heart was not in the tour. She had a faraway look in her eyes. I found myself doing most of the talking. Piper kept quiet though she would marvel every now and then, Camp Half-Blood never failed to impress after all.

"The valley is protected from mortal eyes," I said. "As you can see, the weather is controlled, too. Each cabin represents a Greek god- a place for that god's children to live."

Annabeth looked at Piper, seeing how she would take the news.

"You're saying my mom is a goddess," Piper said.

"Yes," It was my turn to eye her. "You're taking this awfully calmly."

Piper took a shaky breath. "I guess after this morning, it's a little easier to believe. So who's my mom?"

Me and Annabeth shared a quick look. It's not right.

"The problem is," I said, "we don't know. You're what—fifteen? Gods are supposed to claim you when you're thirteen. That was the deal."

Piper looked baffled which I couldn't blame her. Maybe she was disappointed, so Annabeth reassured her. "You should get claimed soon though. Tonight at the campfire, I bet we'll get a sign."

She just nodded. Then she hesitated. "What happened to Coach Hedge?" she asked. "When we went up into the clouds, did he... is he gone for good?"

"Hard to say," I said unhelpfully.

She gazed at the cabins below, looking uneasy. I understood. Hedge might have died to get her here safely. I bet she never like the old goat until now. I was worried about him too. But if any satyr can survive, it's Hedge, he's the toughest out there.

I squeezed Piper's shoulder reassuringly and gazed into her eyes intently. "I can't promise you safety. I can't promise you that you won't disappointed by your godly parent. But I can promise that you will be loved. We're one big family. Even though we fight and bicker."

Piper seemed to appreciate my honesty. She fell into my arms and I held her close.

"Hate to ruin the moment," Annabeth said, "but there's something else I need to check."

I pulled away from her and smiled at Annabeth. "Lead the way."

I couldn't help but notice, all the way we were going, Piper kept giving me weird looks.

We hiked a little farther until they reached a cave near the top of the hill. Where Rachel lived, well kind of, as our oracle.

"What's in there?" Piper asked.

  Annabeth poked her head inside, then sighed and closed the curtains. "Nothing, right now. A friend's place. I've been expecting her for a few days, but so far, nothing."

I didn't ask why. It probably had something to do with Percy's disappearance.

"Your friend lives in a cave?" Piper said disbelievingly.