Breaking the Ground

The thee boys walk into the gym.

"Welcome to the Los Angeles Gym!" a gruff man yelled out, "I'm Felix, the gym leader!"

"Hey there. I'm Rodrigo. These are my friends Julio and Toby. We are here for our gym badges."

"I can't battle all three of you. I only have two Pokemon."

"Not even if I go first then Rodrigo, then Toby?"

"No. It's against League regulations. What isn't against regulations is me battling one of you and then all three of you get your badges."

"Awww. That takes the fun out of battling the gym leader," Toby says sadly.

"I have stronger Pokemon. Tell ya what, we will battle at the Gym Leader Lounge in Sacramento after you beat the Pokemon League," Felix explains.

"That's a deal for me," Rodrigo says.

"Same here," Julio says.

"Then I'll battle you here for our gym badges," says Toby.

"Get ready. The battle is about to begin," Felix tells him.

The trainers take their positions on the ends if the field. A female referee walks out along the edge to the middle of the battle field. Julio and Rodrigo just stare at her.

"I feel like I've seen her before," Julio says.

"Really? I do too!" Rodrigo replies.

"That's it! Its Alice! Remember! From Trainer School!" Julio says.

"Oh yeah! HI ALICE!" Rodrigo yells out.

"HI RODY! HI JULIO!" she yells back.

"Does she still have a big crush on Toby?" Julio asks.

"I don't know. I guess we'll find out after the battle," Rodrigo says.

"Alright. Lets go Starly!"

Toby throws a PokeBall. It opens up and Starly comes out.

"Marshtomp! Come on out!"

Felix throws a PokeBall and a Marshtomp pops right out.

"Isn't Marshtomp a water type?" Toby asks.

"When Mudkip evolves into Marshtomp it gains a second type, which is my favorite type, ground,"
Felix explains.

"Both trainers have the use of only two Pokemon. Only the challenger may substitute Pokemon. Let the battle begin!" Alice says.

"Toby has been training really hard for this battle," Julio says.

"Yeah, I know. Lets hope he wins and gets us our first gym badges," Rodrigo replies.