𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝐹𝑜𝑢𝑟

Start from the beginning

Della informs him, "It's 50 quid a kilo."

Patrick tells Leo, "We're having the set menu."

"It's Mum's birthday dinner," said Leo, "Belated birthday dinner, so it's up to her to decide. Do we have to order the set menu?"

Mom looks at me questioningly, knowing that I will be paying for dinner, and I nod. She informs Leo to have anything he wants. I look at Benjamin smiling telling him that this is my family and he smiles back. Mom looks at me eagerly, wanting to meet Benjamin. I smile at her and turn to my family. "Um, there's something I need to tell you all, and I would appreciate it if you didn't pass on our Dad."

Leo interrupts me, "You're not dying, are you?" I look at him knowing he's joking with me.

"No, Leo, I'm not dying." I laugh, "I arrange our dinner together to celebrate for our Mom." I look at her and held her hand nervously, "Our mom is happy to know that I met someone." They all look at me shockingly. I signal Benjamin to come.

As he is walking to us, Della asks, "Like a romantic someone?"

I nod to Della smiling, "Yeah, like a romantic someone..." She smiles at me.

Leo being Leo comments, "Well, it's better than you dying, I think."

Della punches Leo, thanks Della, "Don't be a dick, it's much better."

Benjamin appears waiting, arms behind his back. Patrick says to him, thinking he's our waiter. "Uh, we're not ready to order. I'll let you know when we are."

"Oh, no, he isn't, this is someone. Benjamin. This is Benjamin... " He smiles at the family as I smile at him. My family was in a state of shock and surprise, in a good way, I hope. He sits beside me to my left and he orders the waiter his drink of choice and mine, water in a wine glass.

I introduce my family, "Benjamin, this is my oldest brother, Patrick." Patrick smiles at him smugly. "That's Leo, my second youngest brother and this is my sister, Della." Della smiles at Benjamin awkwardly as her own self, "This is one right here, is my mom, Julia."

Benjamin wishes her a happy birthday and my mom smiles... I don't know much about meeting the parents, but it shouldn't be more awkward silence there, right? For now, Mom asks with anticipation, "So, how do you two meet?"

"We met in a library, looking for the same book, Pride and Prejudice. Lia's favorite." Benjamin smiles at me as he puts his arm around me. "Let just say, Julia, meeting your daughter change my life."

Benjamin's POV

After a short while, we finished our dinner. I comfort Lia in any way I can to be there for her. I noticed she was a little nervous about telling our story. Seeing her telling our story makes me smile, knowing she belongs to me. I see some sense with her family having a disconnection about us. I think I understand why. Our age and our interracial differences. But I didn't care about that... All I want to do tonight is to be there with her.

Lia's older brother, Patrick, asks Della to freshen up in the restroom. Della asks her mom and Lia to join. As they walk away, I watch Lia exit with them and knowing I would be alone with her brothers.

"So tell me, Benjamin." Patrick leans over to get closer to me, "What kind of cushy work number have you got that allows you to be prowling public libraries in the afternoon?"

I answer, "Copywriting. You kind of set your own hours hence the prowling."

Patrick smiles (not amused), "Sounds almost too good to be true..." He really wants to play the game. I grab my company card from my back pocket and hand it to him. "Very nice. Very cool. Us lawyers don't do cool."