25 | Struggling

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE

-  I felt so much pain and hurt that eventually I started to feel nothing -

~~~~~

Trigger warning: Abuse, self harm, abortion

~~~~~

Jessica

I was instructed to find Samantha immediately now that the meal was over, so of course I went up to her room. However she wasn't there, and I didn't know where she would have gone after storming out.

I think everyone was uneasy after the hickey drama with Eliza, but it seemed to have really upset a few girls, especially Samantha. When she abruptly left the meal the confusion in the room was chaotic. The king and queen looked to Nicolas for an answer, but he appeared just as lost as them.

Poor Nicolas. I think he hadn't know about the conversation with Eliza and the rest of us selected girls that triggered it all.

Somehow I think Queen Isabelle knew there was tension between the girls, or at least suspected it, and called an emergency meeting with all the selected girls in the day room. Hence why I was sent up to go and locate Samantha.

She wasn't in her room though, which meant she could be anywhere. I was just about to ask her maid when I heard her voice.

"Jess? What are you doing here?"

I turned and there Samantha was, walking back to her room from down the corridor.

"Samantha. We need you downstairs. Us selected girls are having a meeting." I tell her and she sighs.

"I don't feel up to seeing everyone else right now." She says, understandably.

"It's the Queen's orders I'm afraid."

Her head whips to look at me, her eyes worried now, "The Queen?"

I nod, grabbing her hand, "And everyone else is waiting, so let's go."

"Why is the queen having a meeting with us?"

I shrug, "I think she senses something is up. Or maybe she's just annoyed you stormed out without permission."

"Do you think it's going to get me in trouble?" Samantha asks nervously.

"I'm sure they will excuse you."

"Is Nicolas in this meeting too?"

I shake my head, "No. Just us girls." I say then I grin at the memory, "But oh my, you should have seen his face when you left dinner. He was shocked beyond shocked. No one ever leaves a formal meal before being dismissed by the king, probably not even him."

Samantha seems ashamed, covering her face with her hands. She stops walking and runs her hands through her hair, obviously even more stressed now. I should just stop talking.

"C'mon Samantha. The Queen will have even more reason to not like you if we don't show up."

She sighs and allows me to pull her the rest of the way along to the day room.