2 | First Impressions

CHAPTER TWO

- Life's not about expecting, hoping and wishing, it's about doing, being and becoming -

~~~~~

Nicolas

All morning I had people hovering around me, checking I was prepared, being escorted to the right place at the right time and telling me the schedule.

Today was the day I would finally have time to meet each of the selected girls, as all 20 had arrived at the palace.

I had certainly noticed the increase in maids rushing about, carrying dress bags or food platters too and fro. It was like everything was leading up to this meeting time, like all these important people were right around the corner and soon they'd all be significant parts of my life.

"Your highness, it's time to move to the meeting room. Everything it sorted with the seating area. It's set up so they can each enter from the sitting room and move out to the dining hall."

A guard, Mr Lockie Fiddle, was filling me in on the proceedings, and spoke as we moved down the hall towards the elevator.

"Excellent. And how long do we have for these meetings?"

"Each will run for 5 minutes, which will be about 2 hours with a few breaks in between."

"Alright. Thank you Lockie."

Suddenly there was a sound of voices I hadn't heard before. It was laughter that echoed down the corridor.

I looked back, only to see it was around the corner of the far wing of the palace, so I couldn't see who it was. I wondered whether it was any of the selected, or if it just happened to be a group of maids gossiping.

Turning away, I continued to follow the officer into the elevator, the time I would meet all the selected soon approaching.

~~~~~

Nitara

Being one of only 2 Indian girls chosen for the selection, I felt nervous to say the least.

I had rarely ever travelled out of my home country, let alone the city I lived in. Everything here was just so unfamiliar already.

They are royalty, Nitara, my mother had said sternly right before I had submitted my application, This opportunity is too good to pass up.

So I kept my head up, mouth shut and did what I had to do. And I got in. It surprised my whole family.

I didn't know the British Royals very well, I had only seen the king or queen from time to time. Prince Nicolas seemed nice from what I'd seen online, and the people in his country seemed fond of him, so I hoped this experience wouldn't be too unpleasant.

I hadn't had the chance to meet any of the other girls yet, but I had looked at their pictures. Many were from the UK, but their were a few scattered in from other places too. Singapore, Jamaica, Malaysia, Fiji and even Canada were all included with either one or two girls out of the 20 selected.

The flight to London was smooth and I had been treated like royalty with staff assisting me with whatever I needed. I'd barely had any time to process what was happening before getting to the palace. My whole life had changed in a matter of days.