Old Strings Broken [Part 2]

*****

Jace and Taylor Goodwin were officially together. The whole school was already bustled with excitement with the newest gossip going around in the next few days. Valentine’s in Greendale is sure a magical time to bring new couples together but also a hellish moment for reminding those who are alone.

Although they were together, things were never the same for both of us as before. Most of his times were completely booked for Taylor while the rest of his times were left vacant for shifts at the local pizza and when plans take a sudden turn, he’ll look for me, Alex and co as back up plans. It’s depressing, that he was completely devoted to her, skipping our usual table in the canteen to hang out with Taylor’s group and even stopped driving us and from school. I can’t really blame Jace’s friends to be annoyed at him for being head over heels with some chick and forgetting his mates.

Jace was up early for school one morning. I watched his battered old Volkswagen Jetta pulled out of the drive way as I skipped down the stairs of my porch. Why is he early, I wouldn’t want to know why because since he got his P plate he didn’t have to wake up early to catch the bus then run for a train to get to school. It reminded me of those short days when I didn’t have to wake up early as well until Taylor came along.

The Volkswagen pulled in front of my house. The driver’s window slowly wounded down and pair of dark Ray Bans reflected the sun into my eyes. I had to shield my eyes to look at him properly. He had his arm had resting on the wheel, his free hand ran through his damp brown hair.

“Morning,” Jace did a mock salute. “Gotta go pick up Taylor, so be careful on the way to school ‘kay?”

“How considerate,” I muttered under my breath then suddenly remembered that I have to ask him something. “Jace, wait!”

I ran after his car and he abruptly stopped.

“June wanted to ask if you could help again with the stall this year at the Summer Fete tomorrow,” I asked as I reached to the driver’s door.

“Shit, I already made plans tomorrow,” he tsked and ruffled his hair in frustration. “Tell June, I’m sorry that I’ve forgotten and I really need to get going or Taylor will throw a hissy fit.”

Taylor this, Taylor that. I hate that name so much I feel like punching the actual person’s face. Well, not literally, I would have to summon lots of guts to hurt someone that Jace loves and if I did, it’ll hurt Jace and that means it’ll hurt me as well. Why did Jace turn out to be such a Romeo who is drugged by the idea of love and neglecting his friends? And it’s not only me, Abbey, Chanel, Alex and Hamish also feel the same.

 Maybe, just maybe I’m jealous of Taylor Goodwin and it’s not like I have anything against her. She’s not exactly what you call popular but she’s smart, beautiful and famous for stealing almost all the awards at the end of each year. She is everything that I wanted to be but I have to live without and so what? She’ll never get him like that way I do. I’ve seen them argue with each other at the doorstep of his house and other times when he’ll show up in June’s kitchen drinking her special hot chocolate whenever he’s down.  Someone help me, what am I supposed to say? I’m twelve years too late, weak and shy girl, someone who tries to share the same light as him and his friends.

The heavy feeling was eased off after watching June preforming her magic at every box and basket. She knew her colours, her greenery, flowers and their meaning, turning nature into a magnificent masterpiece with a purpose. As me it was a jumble of gerberas, Asiatic lilies, roses and everything thing pretty turned out to be a mess of flowers with no special meaning or theme.

“You’ve bunched up the flowers to close on the form – no Cassandra, don’t take it out, and just leave as it is,” June was pointing out the flaws without mercy. “The colours are out of balance, there are bright sharp colours then there are light blue hydrangeas. What’s the point of having it there when rest of the attention is on the lilies and asters? Also you should choose a purple box with lavender and hot pink tissue paper and a white ribbon.”