Disaster at the Department of Mysteries (not for Harry, though)

The Department of Mysteries was a department of the Ministry of Magic that carried out confidential research. Its workers, called Unspeakables, were bound by a magical oath not to speak of the happenings there to anyone else. Of course, this was not a problem for the Dark Lord, a notorious Legilimens whose skills surpassed any other, because he had only to break into the minds of his Unspeakable followers to find out what the Ministry was up to. Pity the Minister hadn't thought of the possibility of such a thing happening. 

The Dept. of Mysteries had Chambers in which various subjects were scrutinized and picked apart. The few known subjects were Time, Love, Space, Thought, and Death, but there were others as well. 

The group was not, however, looking for one of the Chambers. It was looking for the Hall of Prophecies, an almost legendary hall hidden in the depths of the Department of Mysteries with shelves and shelves filled with glowing, whispering prophecies. Every prophecy ever spoken since before 1707 and the Ministry of Magic's official establishment was recorded and stored in little spheres of swirling white mist. Each had a plaque on it that detailed who the prophecy was about and who had spoken it. 

Under specific instructions, the group had cast muffling charms on their feet so that the sound of Bellatrix's heeled boots clicking against the floor was not heard. 

Harry thought she must be very pouty (he couldn't see her very well in the dark) because she had once admitted to him that hearing her boots make menacing little clicks on the floor gave her confidence and the exhilarating sense of being the most evil person in the room. 

Just then, they heard a loud crash coming from a room not far away, to which Lucius muttered that the idiots must have gotten themselves trapped in the Brain Room and that if they strangled themselves, he'd be happy to watch. Harry kicked Lucius in the shin (his howl of pain was covered by the incessant yelling within the Brain Room) and moved forward as stealthily as he could. 

The tip of his wand glowed blue in the darkness of the corridor and he watched in fascination as it swirled into a sort of spring and then zapped the wall. The Death Eaters stepped back in fright and, very soon after, stepped forward and crowded against the wall, which had become like a one-way window into the room. 

They watched in silent captivation as Ron Weasley was nearly strangled by a brain's tentacles. Pity it was only nearly. 

The group of Potter, Granger, the Weasleys and, strangely enough, Neville, made their way to the Death Chamber. Terrible decision. 

The Death Chamber was, according to Rookwood, a circular chamber that looked an awful lot like a Greek amphitheater with a raised dais in the middle. Upon this dais, there was an archway that seemingly led to the other side of the dais. In reality, it leads to the world of the dead. There was also, supposedly, a black piece of cloth made from a dementor's cloak that guarded the entrance to the other world. 

Harry thought it was a terribly flimsy border and that it would be a pity if Alex only accidentally fell into it. 

Harry was also getting terribly bored because the group was not getting any closer to finding the Hall of Prophecies, which was on the other side of the Department of Mysteries so, naturally, he sent Bellatrix out to place glowing plastic mushrooms in a neat line all the way to the Hall. 

He found it greatly amusing when the group he was watching actually followed the trail. He himself would never have followed something so conveniently placed there. Plus. It was glowing plastic mushrooms. Tom would never let him live it down if he followed glowing plastic mushrooms. 

Anyhow, he followed the little twits (not counting Neville) down their little meandering way with the rest of the Death Eaters , who were attempting to make very little sound, although their efforts were in vain (Potter's loud talking would have covered whatever sounds they made).