[book 2] chapter thirty-eight: brenton's dirty little secret

Start from the beginning

"Why not?" Holden demanded.

"You should go," I encouraged, joining in the conversation.

Brenton shrugged his shoulders. "It's not really my scene."

Holden snorted. "Dude, you're the leading college player in the east and all eyes are going to be on you... That's the dictionary definition of your scene."

Brenton slammed his fist on the table. "I'm just not into it. God, stop pestering me." He instantly got up and stormed outside to the backyard. I assured Holden I would go check on him and I went outside as well.

"What's gotten into you?" I asked.

"None of your goddamn business, Daniella."

"Suit yourself."

"Wait," he said before I could leave. "It's just... Never mind."

I put my hand on his shoulder. "Dude, you can tell me anything. What's been going on with you? You used to love lacrosse, and now you get weird and detached at the mention of it."

"You wouldn't understand."

I raised my eyebrows. "Try me."

Brenton took a deep breath and looked at me. "You can't freak out, okay?"

That was never a promising start to a confession.

"I won't."

He stared hard at me before slowly saying, "I got benched indefinitely."

I wanted to react but I tried to keep my expression blank and my voice level. "What was the reason?"

"For using roids."

"Uh, the steroid kind?"

"Well yes, Dani. Unless you know of any others?" he snapped. He put his face in his hands and let out a groan. "Go ahead, yell at me. Just get it over with."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not going to—"

"Why are you yelling at me?" he cried.

I looked at him with concern. "Are you okay?"

He brushed it off like it was nothing. "Sorry, I'm just on edge."

I found the ends of my lips curving upwards. "I guess you could call it..."

"Dani, don't," he warned.

"Roid rage," I finished.

"I'm going to kill you." Although his words were threatening, the slight smile on his face spoke otherwise.

"I'm sorry," I said. "What are you going to do?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "My hearing's in a week. If I lose I'll be kicked off the team."

"I know you're going to hate this suggestion," I started.

"Wow, I hate it already," he said in a monotone, already dreading what was to come out of my mouth.

"But you should talk to Mom," I finished.

"Are you out of your mind?" he exclaimed. "Or are you just as hungover as Holden?"

How did he know...

"Bagels. They're his comfort food."

This supposed twin telepathy was getting weird.

"Come on," I continued. "Our mother is a lawyer. If anyone can fight like hell for you, it's her."

He started pacing back and forth. "She's going to be so pissed when she finds out."