"Vince," I cleared my throat, shifting in the seat. 

"Hmm?" 

"Do I really have to—" 

"Yes." 

I clenched my jaw and swallowed down a sigh. His mother doesn't seem to like me very much. She told me once that because I'm his assistant, Vince has trouble getting girlfriends. Something about people assuming there was something going on between us. 

I glanced at him while he stayed on his phone, answering his own emails for once. Something happening between us? I highly doubt that's ever possible. I mean, it's true, I had a huge crush on Vince when I first took this job. You can't really blame me, he's a very attractive and handsome guy. But his attitude just ruins everything. Maybe it's because I'm his assistant and I know that certain lines can't be crossed. But Vince and I will never happen in any way possible. 

I parked the car near the restaurant and we got out, heading inside. I usually walk behind him, which is why I noticed that he slowed his pace to match mine. He glanced over at me and I took a step forward, walking beside him. "You know what to do at this lunch, don't you?" he mumbled. "Convince my mother that I'm very much satisfied with my dating life. Show, don't tell." 

"Remind me how this is my job," I said through gritted teeth. 

He let out a soft, amused chuckle. "You never have to do much, darling. Us sitting there usually does the trick, haven't you noticed?" 

I blinked in confusion but before I could question him on that, we reached the table his mother was sitting at. Table for five. His mother might not have known I would be joining them today, but she knows to take a table for five always, just in case. He walked to his mom, giving her a hug and kiss on the cheek. "Long time no see," Ms. Blythe laughed, rubbing his back before letting him go. He walked back over to this side of the table, where there were only two chairs, and sat down. "Hello, Demi," she smiled forcefully. 

"Hi, Ms. Blythe," I smiled, pulling my chair and sitting down. 

"So," she cleared her throat, clasping her hands together and looking at me. "You didn't tell me you'd be joining us." 

"I asked her to," Vince sighed, leaning back in his chair. "Mom," he said quietly, "you have to stop bringing your friends and their daughters to lunch with me. I come to spend time with you, not them." 

"Oh, I know," she huffed, waving a dismissive hand. "I'm just worried about you. Vince, you haven't had a real girlfriend since college. Do something, for God's sake. Surround yourself with a girl other than Demi for once." 

I bit the inside of my cheek, taking a look around while trying to ignore the conversation they were having. 

"Why? Demi's great." 

I turned to look at him quickly and was surprised. That's a first. I looked at his mom's reaction and she seemed just as shocked as me and even a bit taken aback. 

"She's the best assistant I've had so far, what's the problem? Every girl around me doesn't need to be there for romantic reasons, Mom. I'm not interested in dating anyone." 

She chuckled softly, "Well, just wait till you meet who I asked for today. Her name is Summer, she's Cindy's daughter. She looks like a perfect fit for you, Vince, trust me. Wait till you meet her." 

"I don't want to meet her, it doesn't matter who she is," he laughed incredulously. "I don't want to meet any girls, Mom. I need one girl around me and that's Demi. Because she's my assistant." 

Oh. Oh, that's what he's doing. Putting on an act. A little much this time. 

"Are you sure that's all she is?" Ms. Blythe glanced at me. "You can't go a day without her." 

"The whole purpose of an assistant is just that," Vince replied, giving her a forced smile. "This is the last lunch I'm having with you if you bring another girl. I cancel enough dinners as it is," he mumbled, picking up the glass of water and drinking it down. 

Our guests joined us for yet another awkward lunch and were the first to leave when we finished. While we waited for the bill, Ms. Blythe watched me, calculating. "What do you do to him?" 

"Nothing," I smiled, "I just work for him, Ms. Blythe." 

She rested her chin on her palm. "It's difficult to believe you, the rumors are more convincing." 

"Those rumors go around every time he gets a new assistant and last until they cost her the job," I shrugged. 

"So there is nothing going on between the two of you?" 

He huffed beside me, scoffing softly. 

"I can assure you," I replied, "there isn't. And there probably never will be." 

The bill was brought in and Ms. Blythe paid, calling it her treat, and then we left. I sighed in frustration as I started the car. "I'm not accompanying you to any of these lunches with your mother again. She hates me and it's painfully obvious. All she ever does is interrogate me about our relationship," I rambled. 

"What do you care, Tiffany? There's nothing going on between us and there probably never will be," he said, using my own words. "Right? So you keep doing your job without caring about the rumors like you have been," he said. His words had a bite to them and I couldn't pinpoint why. It's like he was annoyed with my reply. 

"What else was I supposed to say? I told her what I say every time, Vince," I mumbled, driving back to his apartment. 

"We leave for the game on Friday, make sure my bags are packed and so are yours," he replied, changing the subject. "You're driving, no stops this time. I want to get there as early as we can so we have one day to unwind before the game on Saturday night. Understood?" 

"Yes, sir," I sighed, shifting gears and stepping harder on the gas. I don't understand how I've survived working for him this long and I don't know how much longer I can do it. I glanced at him while he looked out the window. 

Is it possible that he didn't like what I said to his mother? But... it's true, isn't it? Nothing is going on between us and there probably never will be. Probably.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 3

That little flicker of doubt in their minds >>

next chapter: pitstop