Chapter 18

The frightened tribes started digging deep hoping to hit water below the surface. So far, they hadn't had any luck and they were all feeling tired, thirsty and weak.

Gloria looked over to one of the wells and stuck her head down it. She sat back as Moto Moto climbed up out of the well, holding an armful of glittering jewels.

Gloria: Any water?

Moto Moto: No, just more diamonds and gold.

The crowd groaned in disappointment as Moto Moto tossed the treasure onto a huge pile of rare gems they'd collected.

Misty: At least we got lucky. Because we're rich.

Animal: What about the water in the jar?

Misty looked at Jewel for a moment.

Misty: Sorry, but Jewel needs water to breathe. It's actually fresh water.

Gloria: Okay. Don't give up hope.

Moto Moto climb down the well again, returning to his digging. Just then Julien arrived at the water hole on his elephant. Behind him, Maurice on another ostrich followed by flamingos and elephants.

Julien: Listen up! I will help you! There's only one way to get your precious water. I, your beloved King Julien must simply make a small sacrifice to my good friends, the water gods, in the volcano!

The crowd murmured nervously, unsure that was a good solution.

Rhino: What does that do?

Julien: What does that do? Excellent question. My sacrifice goes in the volcano. The friendly gods eat up my sacrifice. The gods eat the sacrifice. They are grateful. They give me some water, and then I give it to you.

Gloria: What?

Female Dik: Does it work?

Julien: No! I mean, yes. Well, Maurice?

Maurice: Ah, it's fifty-fifty.

All the tribes stared at Julien for a long moment. He was talking about a crazy sacrifice. But without water...

All: We'll do it!

Julien: Excellent! Now all I need is someone who would like to go into the volcano and get eaten by gods. Any hands! Hands, anybody!

The tribes shifted nervously looking at each other. Nobody volunteered Moto Moto ducked down into the wall hiding from view.

Julien: Come on! It's not like they're going to eat you. I need someone, perhaps who has never found love, who could look death straight in the eyeball. A real, genuine hero.

Melman: I'll do it.

Gloria: Melman?

Misty and Jewel gasped. Melman is going to get tossed into the volcano, the young tiger thought.

All the animals cheered. They rushed toward Melman and hoisted him up on their shoulders, draping him with flower garlands.

Julien: Hurry up! Before we all come to our senses!

Then they started carrying him toward the distant volcano. Misty and Gloria hurried over to Melman's side.

Misty: Oh no.

Gloria: Melman, what is wrong with you?

Melman: I'm dying anyway. If there's a chance it'll get you water, it'll be worth it.

Misty: Are you nuts?

Melman: Gloria, I want you to know, back at the zoo, it was never the doctors or prescriptions that kept me going. It was always you. Seeing you every day, that's what kept me going.