~~~

“Aiyo,” shivya said out aloud which made those two jerk. “Enna ma enga yavaatha valikadha?” Maaran asked .“Illa pa veetiku sollala. Enna thedhuvaangha.It’s already past my work time also.” Maaran thought for a while “sari va, we’ll drop you home.” Shivya politely declined but accepted as Maaran and Rishi both insisted. Maaran told her to rest until he finishes the formalities and sent Rishi to buy the medicines.

“Va ma polam,” Maaran said as he entered. Shivya kept her feet on the ground to stand and tried to take a step but immediately winced in pain. Her sprained ankle didn't get better yet. Maaran panicked “Ma,” and immediately rushed and held her.

Despite the pain Shivya was going through,the fact that he was so close to her made her insides go crazy. She tried to shrug off the thoughts.

Maaran was genuinely concerned and remembered about her sprained ankle. His guiltiness started to rise until Shivya patted his back and said “I’m okay, feel panatheengha sir’ey.” Maaran left out a chuckle and relaxed but  still felt bad. He took her hands and placed on this waist and he held her shoulders, helping her to balance. While doing this Shivya wasn’t able to cope up with his proximity  and said “It’s okay sir’ey, I can manage.” Maraan didn’t listen to her and told her to shush and helped her to walk to the car.

~~~

Shivya told him the directions and they reached her home. Both the men got down and Maaran opened the car door and held out his hand for Shivya.  She gave her hand and Rishi came and held her right shoulder while Maaran held her right hand. They began walking. Before she could ring the bell her brother opened the door. “Papa ivlo neram. Bayanthe  poitom,” her brother Pugazh worriedly yelled at her but immediately his eyes soften looking at her drained face. “Papa,” he cupped her face and checked her forehead. “Onnum illa anney,” she assured. Pugazh then saw the other two men and his eyes widen. “Dei Pugazh,” both Maaran and Rishi said at the same time. Pugazh became really happy as he saw these two. These three were very good college friends. They were the most famous group in their college and were inseparable. Unfortunately Pugazh had to move back to his hometown due to his grandma’s death and ever since they have not been in touch. Maaran and Rishi were filled with immense happiness as they saw their  friend. Shivya stood there confused and waited for them to talk but couldn’t take the silence anymore ,so she broke the silent. “Anney ivangala onnukku theriyummah?” As there trance was broken both Rishi and Maaran said “machan,” and left Shivya  that led her to stumble due to the sudden excitement of those two, as they left her, but she steadied herself. Whereas they  gave a tight bone crushing hug to Pugazh. Pugazh  recriprocated it. Shivya was standing and looking at them furrowing her eyebrows. “Inga enna nadakatha?” she questioned them.

“Dei eppadi da iruuka,” Maaran asked him. “Naan nalla iruukurean, mothalla ulla vaanga,” Pugazh opened the door. Here Shivya was having  ‘am I joke to you’ expression. Pugazh saw her and held his ears and asked her a “sorry.” Shivya smiled and tried to walk to hug her brother but winced in pain. “Papa ennatchu,” Pugazh immediately rushed and held her. “Just’uh sprain,nothing to worry.”

They all went inside and Shivya was too curious that she immediately asked  “Anney ippa sollu ivangala theriyummah.” “Aama theriyum, naan solli irukkeanla my two friends from college. Ivanga than,” Pugazh said as he put his hands around Maraan and Rishi. Shivya thought by tapping her fingers on her chin and then it clicked her. “Oh antha class bunk panni padam paaka ponningale. Ivangha koodaya?” Shivya asked. All three nodded their heads and laughed reminiscing the memory. It was one memory close to three of their hearts. It was not the first time they bunked but that was a day to remember. “Aama papa onnaka eppadi theriyum.” Shivya then told “my boss’uh.” “Oh avaru thaan ivara,” Pugazh teased. Shivya has talked a lot about Maaran to his brother, his work- the sincerity and that day when he got angry. She has never really took his name and always mentioned ‘avaru’. Pugazh has never seen his sister addressing anyone like that so he started teasing her. When Shivya understood  what her brother was trying to do  so she pinched him.” Ahhh papa,” Pugazh winced in pain. Maaran looked at her confused, “enna ma already periya complain polla ennaya pathi.” “Aama aama,” Pugazh added sarcastically.
“Sari na snacks edhavathu edutha varean,” Shivya stood up to go. “Maaran held her hand “ah no ippa thaan hospital irunthu vanthom. Rest is compulsory.” Pugazh panicked and her parents heard that  just as they entered home  from an event. They too started panicking as they heard Maaran. “Shivya ma, what happened?” her parents rushed from the entrance and checked her. “Onnum illama ,I’m fine now.” She explained everything except Maaran shouting at her and told them only being stuck in the store room. “Ennoda boss’uh thaan kaapathanara,” she completed pointing at Maaran.

~~~

Maaran stood their listening to her speak. He expected her to say everything but she didn’t reveal anything to her family about him being such a jerk that caused the problems. Her parents looked at both Maraan and Rishi. Shivya’s mother, Chitra ,came forward and kept her hand on Maaran’s and Rishi’s head and caressed it and thanked them. “Illa ma, I mean aunty.” Chitra ma cut him off and said “ ne amma ne koopda pa.” Maraan felt emotional. Who were they. They just met few seconds ago and they already made him feel comfortable. He felt guilty and decided to tell them what happened. “Illa amma, actually…” Maaran told them what happened. Shivya eyed him to not tell anything but he ignored it. The family just listened to him. “I’m sorry,” he completed. Shivya’s father came near and raised his hand, Maaran anticipated for a slap and closed he’s eyes as he thought he deserved it, but Shivya’s father patted his shoulder. Maaran opened his eyes and looked at them. Seeing his expresson everyone laughed. “Don’t feel bad pa. Thank you for saving our daughter.” Maaran looked at the whole family in awe. They are just different and genuine people.

~~~

Chitra ma came back from the kitchen to the hall with some snacks. They were chatting casually and Maraan and Rishi stood to leave. Chitra ma kept her hand on Maaran’s head and said “Onga amma onna nalla valathu irukkuraanga. Oru naal onga family’ah  kootita vaanga.” Maraan felt proud, but his smile vanished. His face drop at the mention of family. “Amma,” Pugazh and Rishi started. Though Pugazh was not with them, he never failed to called Rishi or Maraan. He got to know about his family’s death through Rishi. He was informed about Maaran’s change in behavior. Pugazh wanted to be there for him and even felt guilty about not being there for his friend.

~~~

Shivya noticed Maaran’s change in expression and then remembered her brother talking about his college friends, and that one of his friend’s family past away in an accident. She remembered how guilty her brother was not being there for him. By looking at Maaran’s facial expression she understood that it was him. “Amma, ennakku yaarumme illa.” Chitra ma’s  smile vanished as she saw this grown up boy yearning for love. Further not to make him feel lonely she didn’t ask questions. “Onnakku yaarum illana solladha pa. Naanga irrukom thaanae,” she said lovingly caressing his hair. Maraan smiled and muttered a thank you.

Rishi and Maaran bid bye to everyone and left not before telling Pugazh to meet them regularly. Maaran opened his car door and turned to look at the entrance expecting Shivya. As if she read his mind she came to him. Rishi sat in the car to give them space. He saw her walking with the pain. Not wanting her to walk further he took long strides and went near her.

Maaran wanted to apologize again but she cut him off, “oho sir’ey vidunga. Don’t feel bad, I’m fit and fine.” Maaran chuckled and forwarded his hand. Shivya looked at him. “Friends?” he asked. Shivya didn’t think and placed her hand on his and held it. Both of them felt a whole new feeling when their hands touched. Shivya hasn’t felt like this with any other guy nor did Maaran feel like this with any girl. The magic between them started as they felt a sense of euphoric around them when each had each other’s presence. “Seri Maaran’ey, bye. Becareful,”Shivya said as she took her hand. Maaran raised his eyebrows. “Neengha thanae sonningha friend’uh na. Naan yean friend ah appidi thaan koopuduvean, she said and left inside. Maaran chuckled as he said “paathu po ma.”

~~~

Maaran and Shivya knew, though they became friends, the feelings they felt for each other did not say they were just friends. Deep down they knew that the bond they shared was something special. They were just unaware of what it was.

The magic between them has already started.

Please ignore any typos or errors 
This is a fictional story.

Feel free to comment on this chapter.

Stay safe
✨✨✨✨✨✨