4. resolve (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"What plan is this?" Naevia asked, shifting to move a tile on the game board in front of her.

Alethia's chin rose as she answered, "Kill the queen now before the army advances."

"An interesting course of action," Naevia spoke as Argan pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. "One that would ultimately end in failure, but interesting nonetheless."

"Failure?" Alethia prompted, her eyebrow twitched with the motion to rise.

"Yes, must I repeat myself, doas?" Naevia looked up from the board to meet Alethia's eyes. At the silence between them, Naevia sighed and elaborated, "You are not ready yet. Proceed down that road, and you will die or worse."

"I have trained under you for two years," Alethia heard her voice crack, and she swallowed past the lump in her throat, pushing out the rest in a more assertive tone. "And I am not ready?"

Argan ran a hand over his face, catching Alethia's attention. "We have merely set the foundation in your training. Your full potential has yet to be unlocked."

"Unlock it," Alethia demanded in disbelief. Time had flown by in the desert. From each crippling defeat in magical lessons and combat, she had learned and improved upon her mistakes.

She felt strong. A power she never knew she had coursed through her veins. The monster she loathed buried underneath her skin was tamed and controllable. She could absorb magical attacks and direct them back at her opponents, although fire and air were still beyond her control to use.

And yet, they claimed she remained unprepared.

"There are forces in this world beyond our control," Naevia spoke in a soft tone in the face of Alethia's growing ire. "We have taught you all everything necessary for the next part of your journey. No more and no less. That is the way it shall be."

Alethia's lips curled downward at the words. It wasn't right. She only went through the sessions with one end goal in mind--stopping her mother.

Now, everything had dropped into the aimless abyss, shattering the fabricated semblance of confidence that she built brick by pitiful chipped brick. Alethia knew not to doubt the elders, not after the trials and tribulations they had gone through at their side. But the realization didn't make the numbing coldness sweeping through her body any less painful.

Her quest for vengeance was her sole purpose, and its result would save the Four Kingdoms.

Without that, she was an empty shell.

Alethia's hands relaxed, and she cast her eyes, staring at the nail bites in her palms. "How do I unlock it?"

"All will happen in due time, doas," Naevia reassured, a small smile arching her lips. "But it will not be here. You have much to learn, and this journey shall help with that."

Argan clapped his hands together, causing the group to jolt in surprise. "Enough talk about that. We have gifts for you, and then you can be on your merry way."

"Oh, stop," Naevia chuckled, resting a hand on her partner's shoulder. "You just want them to leave so we can focus on the game."

Argan grinned; his eyes brightened as he glanced at Naevia. "You see through me every time."

Naevia's chuckle turned into a deep laugh as she stood. She walked over to a table piled with an assortment of objects. Clattering sounds filled the tent as Naevia's nimble hands poked through the stack, and she pulled out something clasped in her hand.

Naevia approached Sephirah, who smiled and said, "I absolutely adore presents. You didn't have to give us anything at all."

"It is my pleasure," Naevia replied with an equally cheeky smile. She unfolded her hand and passed a gleaming gold necklace to Sephirah.