Chapter Fourty- Fast Fear

Ash's fear spiked as he was finally placed on a gurney in the med bay. Bruce checked his vitals even as another doctor tried to shove him out of the way, and when he bent to listen to Ash's abdomen he looked at Bruce as if he was stupid.

"What the hell are you doing!?" The head doctor finally asked Bruce, his irritation clear.

"He is having spasms in his abdomen, so I am listening to see if he might have a bowel obstruction!" Bruce informed them simply, doing his best not to respond to the doctors attitude.

"Are you an idiot!? You need to feel for a bowel obstruction not listen for one!" The doctor replied, pushing Bruce out of the way before beginning abdominal palpitations.  He clearly did not recognize Bruce due to his attempt to argue with him, and shoving him out of the way almost tipped Bruce over the edge, when he heard Ash moan in pain under the doctor's ministrations he growled as his skin began to turn a darker shade of green than was wise.

Bruce turned and looked at the doctor as if he were the moron, asking, "Do you even know who I am?" Bruce gestured at Bucky to pull the doctor away from the gurney, not wanting him anywhere near Ash in that moment, and not trusting himself to touch him without removing his limbs in the process.

"What the Hell are you doing!?" The doctor screamed at Bucky, "This is my med bay!"

"Not for long." Bucky quipped at him, "You just tried to piss off the Hulk." The doctor looked at Bucky as if he had suddenly grown a second head, then looked at Bruce the same way, flinching when he saw the dark-green tinge of his skin as Bruce swiftly took over directing the other doctors and nurses treating Ash.

Soon enough, Ash was practically bristling with a myriad of cords and sensors to track everything from oxygen levels to his brainwaves. Several of those sensors had been placed on his stomach to monitor the spasms even as Bruce administered medicine in an attempt to ease them and kill the pain.

The former doctor, still staring at Bruce as he administered the doses, finally noticed the long, thin tail draped off the side of the bed. The tiny remaining shreds of his previous agitation slowly drained away as he began to take a closer look at Ash, still writhing in pain as his violet eyes shone with pure fear. It was then that he realized Ash was a mutant. Suddenly, he felt like the dangerous fool he was, and became desperate to make up for his failure.

"Oh, shit!" He exclaimed as Bucky continued to try leading him outside, "No! Please! I understand how I fucked up now! Let me try to fix it!" He begged Bucky while turning back towards Bruce. Raising his voice in the hopes that Bruce would listen, he begged once more, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been so arrogant and unobservant! I should have realized we might end up having a mutant living and working here...please, let me help! Let me try to make up for my mistake!"

Bruce actually did hear him, but didn't acknowledge the doctor's plea right away. Still, he was finding it difficult to interpret some of the changes he was seeing in Ash's body. He also knew that the Doctor must have been particularly brilliant or Stark would have never hired him. Right before Bucky would have finally strong armed the guy thru the door, Bruce lifted his head and motioned the doctor to come over and join him by Ash's bedside.

"What is your name, Doctor?" Bruce asked the man once he was standing next to him.

"William Shoop, Sir."

"What is your speciality?" Bruce asked, curious how useful he would really be.

"Internal Medicine, but I should still be somewhat helpful. May I?" Dr. Shoop motioned towards the bed where Ash lay, clearly still in pain. Bruce nodded, deciding to step back and watch.