He's handsome, so handsome. More than I ever thought he would be; more then I imagined him to be. My heart pounds in my chest as I relive it.

I guess I know what that red line through his name in the book means now. He's an inmate.

I pull my shirt down, my brand that of a half moon becomes visible, it's red, raised and sensitive. I had heard that the touch of a Darling can calm the burning of a brand but I'd never know, I doubt I'd ever have any contact with him.

I reach down, turning on the tap and cupping my hands as I splash water up onto my face, it instantly cools my skin. My hands shake as adrenaline rushes through me.

"Hello?" a voice calls through the door as they knock. I take one last breath before making my way to the door and unlocking it.

"Sorry" I say sheepishly as I slink past her and into the hallway. I hover outside, contemplating what to do. I can't go back just yet, my body hadn't fully recovered.

I pull my phone out, checking the time; 2:34pm. I had an hour and a half before West would be here to pick me up. Just then a text from him comes through.

I shut my phone off, not wanting to deal with West at the moment as I shove it back in my pocket.

I hear the lady from inside the bathroom running the tap; I walk away knowing she's about to leave the bathroom. I have no other choice then to go back to the Rec Room, I have no idea where the other hallways lead and I can't keep Josie and Colin wondering where I am.

The walk down the hall seems much quicker this time, the door being in front of me in no time. My hands shake as I lift the keycard to the scanner. The door opens when I push on it.

I scurry along, not looking at the inmates, not even looking from my peripheral. I make it to Tower Three in no time with no issues.

"I was wondering where you were" Josie says "thought you fell in the toilet" she chuckles. I give a nervous chuckle back as I take a seat besides her.

I avoid looking out the windows, scared my brand will start to burn when I lay eyes on him again.

"Are you alright, Poppy?" Colin asks without taking his eyes off the computer screen.

"Yeah, I'm okay" I reassure, not wanting unnecessary attention on me.

I can't help it, the urge is too strong, the connection between my eyes and brain appears broken as my eyes ignore my brain shouting 'don't look' and instead do exactly that.

I hold my breath waiting to find him as I scan the area. Everyone appears at peace, some play with cards on the tables while others sing along to tunes I don't recognise.

But I can't see him anywhere. He's gone.

*

"How was your day?" West asks as I sit in the passenger seat. He leans over, pressing a kiss to my cheek. I hold back a face of disgust as the overwhelming urge to pull away consumes me. I know that it's usual for Darlings to be disgusted by any other persons affection but I didn't expect it to take effect so quickly.

"It was okay" I give a tight smile, hoping he doesn't notice "met some new friends. How was your day?" I ask as he starts to drive away from Hellbound Penitentiary. I watch in the side mirror as it fades away when we get on the main road.

"Eh, it was slow" he answers as he runs a hand through his hair "I picked up dinner".

Oh good, the last thing I want to do after today is to go to the shops and be around people. All I want is to lock myself in a room and be alone for a while, but I can't, that would raise suspicion.